This post was sponsored by Grace Foods, who I love for their amazing jerk sauces, making this burger so incredibly flavourful and hearty, even my dad liked it.
There’s a veggie burger, and then there’s a VEGGIE BURGER. This is the latter. None of that wimpy, little brown patty thing going on here. These are some mean, hearty, spicy (if you are into spicy), flavour punch in the mouth, Jerk Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burgers, and I can’t get enough of them.
Ok, let’s take a step back and talk about jerk. Do you know jerk? I’m not talking about that person who scooted their grocery cart right in front of yours at the last second in the checkout line, jerk! I’m talking about the traditional Jamaican seasoning. Onions, scotch bonnet peppers, thyme, allspice, black pepper, salt… Jerk is like a magic potion of island flavours, that make your mouth do happy dances.
I have been lucky enough to visit Jamaica several times now, my first time I was just a wee baby. It’s one of those places that has so much personality, you either love it, or hate it, and I am definitely in the love category. I have fond memories of stopping on the side of the road at a Rasta’s homemade oil drum BBQ, and grabbing a pieces of jerk shhhhh chicken shhhhh, (before I was vegan), but let’s pretend it was veggies. The smoky aroma, the spices, the hours of marinating, drool. Just perfect for BBQ season.
I want it! So I took the spicy and smoky jerk seasoning, combined it with creamy sweet potatoes, satisfying black beans, and made this hearty, flavour packed, summer loving, burger sensation. If you are hosting a BBQ, you need to make these now! If you are going to a BBQ bring these! They can be made fresh or in advance (I think they get even better the next day). Turn up the reggae, grab a Red Stripe, and get your jerk BBQ going. One love.
To make the burgers, bake some sweet potatoes until they are all delicious and soft.
Rinse some cooked black beans.
Then mash up the sweet potatoes and the black beans.
Add them to a bowl along with onions, oats, breadcrumbs, flax, and jerk seasoning.
Form the patties and bake to perfection.
Spread the hot patties with a thick layer of jerk BBQ sauce, then layer your burger high with all your favourite toppings. Irie.
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes (Enough to make 2 cups mashed)
- 4 Tablespoons Ground Flax
- 6 Tablespoons Warm Water
- 2 Cups Black Beans (1 19oz Can)
- 1 Cup Large Rolled Oats
- 1½ Cups Onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Grace Jerk Seasoning (Mild or Hot, your preference)
- ½ Cup Grace Jerk BBQ Sauce (more or less as needed)
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork all over, put them on a baking tray, and then pop them in the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes, until you can easily pierce a knife all the way through the potatoes. You can bake the potatoes ahead of time if you like.
- When you are ready to make the burgers, preheat the oven to 375F (190C).
- Mix the ground flax with the water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Add them to a very large bowl and use a potato masher to mash them up.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half (be very careful if they are still hot!), and use a fork to mash the flesh. Scoop up the mashed flesh and measure 2 cups. Add the potato to the bowl with the beans.
- Now add the oats, bread crumbs, Grace Jerk Seasoning, and the flax mixture. Stir to combine.
- Lightly grease a baking pan. Divide the mix into 8, and form 8 very large, hearty patties, and put them on the pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes flipping halfway through.
- To use the burgers right away: Brush the tops of the hot burgers with a thick layer of Grace Jerk BBQ Sauce. Pile on a bun with all of your favourite toppings and enjoy.
- To save for later: Let the patties cool completely, then store in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to use. When ready heat up a BBQ and toss the burgers on for just a few minutes on each side to heat through. Brush the tops of the hot burgers with a thick layer of Grace Jerk BBQ Sauce. Pile on a bun with all of your favourite toppings and enjoy.
Featured Ingredient: Jerk. 23 Recipes, 28 Days to Go!