Did you make the Olive & Sun-Dried Tomato Rustic Tapenade yet? Did you eat it all? I don’t blame you if you ate it all, but if you did, you might want to make it again so you can make this scrumptious pasta! All you need is half of the tapenade to recipe, some cherry tomatoes, and some pine nuts and you end up with this glorious pasta dish. Such a simple weeknight meal, and it taste like you should be sitting in a tiny cafe in the heart of Italy.
The cherry tomatoes add a pop of sweet juiciness, the tapenade adds a whole shebang of flavour, then finish of the pasta with a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts for a creamy nutty yumminess. Now where’s my fork?
I haven’t tried this recipe with a store bought tapenade, but I am sure it would work great as well. Just beware that tapenades vary a lot in flavour and intensity, so you might want to start with a small amount of the tapenade and add more to taste.
To start, toast the pine nuts. Do this by putting them in a small pan over medium heat. Shake the pan and keep a careful eye on them as they tend to burn quickly. They will only need a couple of minutes. As soon as they get some golden colour, remove them from the heat.
Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and finely mince the garlic. Put a pan that’s large enough to hold all of your pasta over medium-high heat.
Sauté the cherry tomatoes in olive oil for about 5 minutes until they soften. Add the garlic and sauté one minute more.
Then add the tapenade and remove from the heat. Toss with the pasta, garnish with the toasted pine nuts, and badda bing, badda boom, pasta is ready!
- ¼ Cup Pine Nuts
- 2 Cups Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¾ Cups Olive & Sun-Dried Tomato Rustic Tapenade (about half the recipe)
- 4 Cups Dry Short Pasta (such as penne, macaroni, bowties, or fusilli)
- If you haven't prepared the tapenade do that first. If you have a store bought tapenade, I am sure that would work fine as well, but the quantities would vary, so add it to your taste preference.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Toast the pine nuts by heating them in a small pan over medium heat for a few minutes. Keep a careful eye on them as they can burn quickly. Shake the pan and as soon as they start getting golden colour on them, remove them from the heat and set aside.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and finely mince the garlic.
- Heat a pan large enough to hold all the pasta over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and when hot add the cherry tomatoes. Be careful, the cherry tomatoes contain lots of water so the pan may spatter at you. Sauté the cherry tomatoes for about 5 minutes until they are softened. Add in the garlic and sauté one minute more. Store in the tapenade and remove from the heat. Toss with hot pasta, sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts, and serve while hot.
Featured Ingredient: Pine Nuts. 18 Recipes, 4 Days to go. (Ah)!