Do I even need to explain why this is my new favourite recipe? I mean, hello: LOADED. VEGAN. NACHOS. Yes, yes, and absolutely yes. I am doing happy dances right now. I love nachos. The funny thing about my love for nachos is that I didn’t even really realize how much I loved them until I became vegan. I would go to a pub with friends, browse the menu, and then crave the nachos that I couldn’t have. I didn’t crave the cows cheese, I just wanted that familiar, gooey, finger food, fun that goes so well with a pint. Omnomnom bar night.
I became determined to make the best damn vegan nachos, from here to Timbuktu. (Side note, did you know that Timbuktu is a real place in Mali… that really is far away)!
Back to my vegan nacho making mission. First step: make the worlds perfect nacho cheese. Voila! Melty Stretchy Gooey Nacho Cheese. Step two: make some glorious, ridiculously tasty, beautiful nachos. Um, did you notice the pictures on this page? Step three: Devour said nachos. Vegan food coma- complete!
These nachos turned out so well that even my non-vegan mom stated all pubs should have this on the menu… and, I rest my case.
The key to a good nacho party in your mouth, is to layer. First start with a layer of tortilla chips. Sprinkle over that, olives, jalapeños, black beans, green onions, and tomatoes.
Then drizzle over half of the nacho cheese recipe. Aye yai yai! I want it already. Now do it all over again! A new layer of tortilla chips, with all the toppings, and the remainder of the nacho cheese. Pop it in the oven to heat it through, sprinkle on some fresh cilantro and avocado, and get your fingers ready to lick. Dive into layers of deliciousness.
- 1 Recipe for Stretchy Melty Gooey Vegan Nacho Cheese
- 4 Big Handfuls of Tortilla Chips
- 2 Roma Tomatoes
- ¼ Cup Black Olive Slices
- ½ Cup Black Beans
- 2 Green Onions
- 1 Jalapeño (optional)
- ½ of an Avocado
- ¼ Cup Cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 400F (200C).
- If you haven't already done so, make the recipe for Stretchy Gooey Vegan Nacho Cheese. If you prepared it ahead of time, heat it up in a pot over medium heat stirring frequently so that it doesn't burn. If it is too thick, stir in one tablespoon of water at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Prep all of your ingredients. Chop the tomatoes, green onions, avocado, and cilantro. Thinly slice the black olives if they aren't already sliced, and the jalapeño if using. Drain and rinse the black beans.
- When all of your ingredients and the nacho cheese are prepped, spread out half of the tortilla chips onto an oven safe pan or dish. Sprinkle over half of the tomatoes, olives, jalapeño, black beans, and green onions. Drizzle half of the nacho cheese overtop. Now build your second layer by spreading out the remaining tortilla chips on top, and sprinkling over the remaining tomatoes, olives, jalapeño, and black beans. Drizzle the remaining nacho cheese overtop.
- Bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the chips just start to get golden on the edges, and everything is heated up a bit.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the avocado and cilantro on top.. Serve immediately.