The Best Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes

So here it is. This is my recipe for the most perfect, bestest in the westest, (and eastest) vegan cupcake… Strike that. This is my idea of the most perfect cupcake. Period. Vegan or not, this is a damn good cupcake. When I served these to a group of strangers, one girl declared that it was the best cupcake she had ever eaten… and then I told her it was vegan. Surprised? Grin.

I came up with this recipe after doing a Vegan Vanilla Cupcake Off where I compared the 3 top vegan cupcake recipes to each other to determine which one was the winner.  The results were that there were no clear winners, so I had to do the only logical thing I could think of.  Make batch after batch of cupcakes, until I made my own winner. This recipe is everything I look for in a cupcake, light fluffy, sweet-vanilla deliciousness, simple to make, and even simpler to eat.

I guarantee… ooo risky, but I’m gonna do it, I GUARANTEE that if you make these cupcakes, that they not only will be devoured, but not a single soul will know they are vegan without being told so.

the-best-vegan-vanilla-cupcakes

The Best Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes

Makes 12 Cupcakes

Dry Ingredients:

1 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour

1/2 Cup plus 1/3 Cup White Sugar

1 teaspoon Baking Soda

1/2 teaspoon Salt

Wet Ingredients:

2/3 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (or other Non-Dairy Milk)

1/3 Cup Canola Oil

2 Tablespoons Apple Cider or White Vinegar

2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

Frosting:

1/4 Cup Non-Hydrogenated Shortening (I used Earth Balance Shortening)

1/4 Cup Vegan Margarine (I used Earth Balance)

1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar

1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Almond Milk (or other Non-Dairy Milk)

Sprinkles for decoration (optional)

*Makes enough frosting for 12 cupcakes… Unless you are one of those people who like more frosting than cake. (Hey, I don’t judge!). In which case you might want to double the recipe. If you have leftovers you can always freeze it in an airtight container. Thaw in the fridge overnight, or on the counter for a couple of hours before you want to use it.

dry-ingredients-vegan-vanilla-cupcake

Preheat your oven for 350 F (180C). Line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners, or lightly grease the pan.

In a big bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.

wet-dry-ingredients-vegan-vanilla-cupcakes

In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients together.

batter-best-vegan-vanilla-cupcake

Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk that up. Whisk until the batter just comes together, don’t over mix it or your cupcakes will be sad cakes.

best-vegan-vanilla-cupcakes-batter

Evenly divide batter among the  liners. Bake 18-20 minutes until the tops are slightly golden.

vegan-vanilla-cupcakes

Like this. Omnomnom.

vegan-vanilla-frosting

To make the frosting, mix all the ingredients together with a hand mixer. Wait until the cupcakes are cooled completely before frosting. Use a piping bag, a butter knife or just a plastic bag with a small hole cut in the corner to frost your cakes.

best-vegan-vanilla-cupakes

Now devour. Bon Appetgan!

Comments

• says

Hi Jen! Hmmm this should be no problem. I have heard other people have tried this with success. One recipe for these cupcakes (12 cupcakes worth), should make 1 layer of 2″x8″ cake. Make sure you fill the cake pan about half to two thirds full, but not more full than that, so it doesn’t overflow in the oven. The temperature of the oven should be the same but you will probably have to cook it longer, maybe 25 minutes? Just keep an eye on it and you will know its done when a tooth pick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Let me know how it turns out for you. Enjoy! :)

1. Terese says

Loved the cupcakes. My daughter is the vegan and we made these cupcakes together. She brought them to school and they were a big hit. Thanks!!

2. Rosie says

Every time I bake these cupcakes the rim around them turns out to be hard, while the rest of the cupcake is perfectly baked. Is there something that I’m doing wrong?

• says

Hmmmm… It may be that your oven runs a little hot, or is extra hot at the top. You could try moving the cupcakes to a lower rack or try reducing the temperature a bit. My cupcakes to get a bit chewy around the edges after a day or two but they should be soft and fluffy when they are fresh. Let me know if that helps!

3. lydia says

I was so excited when I came across this recipe! I need bday cupcakes for my little guy with egg allergies. They look great and the ingredients is easy and on hand. When I added my wet to dry there was not enough to make the batter smooth. It was more like dough. I followed exactly… any tips. The final products were flat, hole down the middle but were light and what I could salvage out of the liner was good. Can you confirm the sugar was 1/2 and 1/3 cup! Thank you! Yours look awesome!!

• says

Hi lydia. Oh no! That’s such a bummer. I’m pretty sure the recipe is correct. I have followed my own recipe multiple times (yep I do that) and have heard of others successfully making these cupcakes. It’s sounds like there wasn’t a problem with the sugar quantity but the dry to wet ratio. Could you have perhaps forgot or miss-measured a wet ingredient? Or added too much flour? When you mix the wet and dry the batter should be soft and light. Let me know how it goes. :)

4. Jess says

hey I find the apple cider vinegar flavour rather overpowering, it takes away from the vanilla flavour even when I cut back on it, is there something else that can be used instead? I imagine it’s to activate the baking soda and help the muffins rise and become fluffy, would it be possible to substitute baking powder which already has an activating agent, or add cream of tartar instead?

• says

Hi Jess!
      Huh. I find that the apple cider vinegar flavour cooks right out and you can’t taste it all. Apple cider is usually very mild, and also has health benefits which is why I opt for it, but you could use any vinegar. Try finding one that has the least amount of flavour or try lemon juice. You’re right it’s about the acidity, think volcano experiment from science project days. The reaction makes the cupcakes light and fluffy.

• Anonymous says

Maybe a citrus juice such as lemon, lime, or orange would give the needed acidity???? It would probably be tasty too!

• says

Nope not at all! It acts like normal frosting. If it was very hot it might melt, but my cupcakes hang out on the counter for a few days perfectly happy… If they last that long. Haha

• itdoesnttastelikechicken says

Yes, absolutely. Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar will work just fine. Just don’t use balsamic…gross! Haha.

Leave me a comment and be my new favourite person of the day!