Dear Sweet & Spicy Sriracha Tofu,
Please get in my mouth immediately.
The crispy tofu, the heat of Sriracha, and the sweet agave sauciness, make one fiiine combination. Delivery has nothing on this, and with the freezing temperatures we’ve been having, I’m pretty sure the delivery guy is A-ok with avoiding the running about in the cold. And I am A-ok with snuggling up in my stretchy pants and over-sized sweater and never leaving the house again… Until I run out of tofu, or Sriracha, or wine, then I will reconsider.
In the meantime, how about cuddling up with a plate of this amazingness? Yes, I don’t mind if I do.
To make Sweet & Spicy Sriracha Tofu: Toss the pressed and cubed tofu with cornstarch. Coating the tofu in cornstarch will help it crisp up… oh delicious crispy tofu, you had me at hello.
Fry the tofu until golden brown and crispy on all sides, about 4 minutes per side, then drain on paper towel.
In the meantime, make the sauce by combining the water, soy sauce, sugar, Sriracha, agave, and garlic in a pan. Bring to a boil. If you don’t have Sriracha you could use a different hot sauce. Hot sauces range in spice quite a bit, so add to your own taste preference.
Then whisk in the cornstarch mixture into sauce, and stir until thickened. Toss with tofu and serve over rice. Yum!
- For the Tofu:
- 1 Block Extra Firm Tofu, drained and pressed for 15-30 mins
- ⅓ Cup Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Oil for Frying (more if needed)
- Cooked rice for serving
- For the Sriracha Sauce:
- 1 Cup Water
- ¼ Cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ Cup White Sugar
- 1 - 3 Tablespoons Sriracha (depending on your spice preference)
- 2 Tablespoons Agave (or to taste)
- 3 Cloves Finely Minced Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch + 2 Tablespoons Water
- To make the tofu: cut the tofu into cubes, then add them to a medium bowl with the cornstarch. Toss well to coat, and shake off excess.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the tofu cubes until all sides are browned. About 4 minutes each side. Drain tofu on paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
- To make the Sriracha sauce: in a small saucepan, add the water, soy sauce, sugar, sriracha, agave, and garlic, then bring to a boil. In a small bowl or glass, mix the cornstarch and water together. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and whisk well. Continue to cook another minute or two until the sauce thickens.
- Toss the sauce with the tofu and serve over a bed of rice.
If you liked this recipe you might also like: