Hello, Creamy Coconut Garlic Mushrooms, you are one incredibly delicious, creamy, silky, garlic-y, side dish. Ok, let's get real, "side dish" makes this sound like it's this measly little thing, you just toss beside the main focus. Trust me, it absolutely not. Spoon this over mashed potatoes, Vegan Seitan Steak, or whatever sounds yummy to you, and don't be surprised when you go for seconds, and thirds, and lick the spoon, and your fingers, and the pan, and the stove... ok don't lick the stove.
I received a cast iron skillet for Christmas. Yay! I seasoned it with coconut oil, and am already deeply in love with it. It's natural non-stick surface is pretty great, and I hear cast iron just gets better with age.
And just look how pretty it is... A very photogenic pan if I do say so myself. Oh and mushrooms too!!
On to creamy, dreamy, mushrooms.
Slice the mushrooms and mince the garlic.
Sauté mushrooms for about 5 minutes until they soften and begin to release their juices. Stir in coconut milk, and spices.
Simmer for another 5 minutes until everything comes together. Serve as a side, or spoon over potatoes, tofu steaks, or other yummy dishes.
Creamy Coconut Garlic Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or other light oil)
- 16 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup full-fat coconut milk (the kind in a can)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or parsley
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan over medium-high heat. When it's hot, add the mushrooms and garlic. Sauté the mushrooms for about 5 minutes until they soften and begin to release their juices.
- Stir in the coconut milk, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to cook for about another 5 minutes.
- Stir in nutritional yeast if using, and cilantro or parsley. If you feel it needs a bit more sauce, add a dash more coconut milk as desired.
Feature Ingredient: Mushrooms.