This post is sponsored by the National Watermelon Promotion Board. Ummm hello, watermelon? I think so! Watermelon is one of my favourite fruits, not only is it super scrumptious and juicy, but it is jam packed full of nutrition as well.
Can we just take a look at the adorableness of these little guys? I mean really. I love little candies, but as a vegan not all candies are vegan. Read the ingredients and a lot of them contain gelatin. Bleh. So I decided it was time to create some of my own vegan homemade treats.
Just 4 ingredients, and I made these lightly sweet watermelon bites. How cute are they? Ok, I’ll stop talking about their cuteness… maybe.
Vegans (as you might be aware) don’t eat gelatin because it’s made from animal bones. Luckily for us, there seems to be a vegan version of almost everything in this world! What’s the vegan version of gelatin? Agar!
Agar (sometimes called agar-agar), is made from seaweed. You probably won’t be able to find at your local grocery store, boo, but you should be able to get it at a health food store, or online here.
You can make the jellies into any shape you like. I used a star and heart shape mold I had, but you can choose from a ton of shapes and sizes online here. Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Back to School, Star Wars, you name it!
I find the silicone molds are a little easier to work with than the firmer plastic molds, because the candies are easier to pop out at the end.
Now lets get to candy making! Cut up your watermelon and add it to a blender.
Blend until smooth and there are no lumps.
Add the watermelon juice to a sauce pan along with the sugar and agar powder. Whisk to combine.
Keep whisking over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the watermelon mixture thickens. About 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
Spoon the watermelon mixture into your mold of choice. If the watermelon mixture starts firming up before you are done pouring it into the mold, just pop back on the stove for a minute, whisking while it heats back up again.
Chill the candies in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours until set. Pop them out of the mold and enjoy! Store them in an air tight container in the fridge, but I think they taste yummiest when I let them warm up to room temperature.
These are lightly sweet, but if you want them sweeter, you can dust them with powdered sugar, which also makes them look all snowy and Christmas-y!
- 1 Cup Watermelon Juice (about 2 Cups of Cubed Watermelon)
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Agar Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Cut the fresh watermelon into chunks and add it to a blender. Blend until a smooth juice consistency is reached.
- Measure 1 cup of watermelon juice into a small saucepan and whisk in the sugar and agar powder.
- Heat over medium heat while whisking until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Spoon the mixture into molds, any shape you like! If the mixture starts to set before you are finished pouring it into the molds, return to heat, and whisk for a minute until it softens again. Let set in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours, then pop them out of the moulds. Store in an air tight container in the fridge.