This post is sponsored by haskapa, who I love for their delicious Haskap berry products. Their relish and chutney make it so easy to whip up a flavourful and unique dish that is sure to impress!
Oooh la la! Look at that amazing colour.
If you are looking for an appetizer that screams gorgeousness (but is secretly really easy to make), you have just found the recipe for you!
This is very quick and easy to whip up. Use a food processor to blend up the macadamia ricotta, toast some baguette slices, smear them with the ricotta then spoon over the Haskap relish. Boom!
You can make the macadamia ricotta ahead of time, and assemble the crostinis when you are ready to serve. It’s not just a pretty face, this Macadamia Ricotta and haskapa Crostini is super tasty too. The macadamia ricotta is creamy, soft, and the Haskap relish adds the perfect compliment of taste and colour to make this app really pop.
What in the world is a “Haskap” you ask? (Or at least I certainly did).
Haskap is a kind berry that looks like blueberry that got stretched out. They are long instead of round, and they taste somewhere in-between a raspberry and blueberry, but are even more nutritious (um, superfood alert).
While you aren’t likely to find them in your grocery store just yet, you can order them online here. You can buy the whole berries frozen or dried, or prepared in a number of different products. Juice, chutney, relish, chocolate, or syrup!
For this recipe I used this haskapa jalapeño Haskap relish which at first tastes sweet and rich, and then the flavour builds and you get a nice jalapeño zing at the end. It’s so yummy!!! If you aren’t a fan of the zing (spice), the chutney would pair with the macadamia ricotta beautifully as well.
Now let’s get to appetizer making!
To make the macadamia nut ricotta, just add all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend, blend, blend…
…Until smooth and creamy. Yum! If for any reason you are not a fan of macadamia nuts, you could alternatively use my cashew ricotta recipe. They are both delish!
Slice your baguette. I like to slice mine diagonally because it looks all purdy and stuff.
Lightly brush some olive oil on both sides of each slice. Pop them in the oven for 10 minutes, flipping half way through until they are nice and toasted. If you prefer oil free recipes, just skip the oil, and keep a close eye on them in the oven so they don’t burn.
Now take your toasted baguette slices, and spread on some of that macadamia ricotta love.
Then spoon on the haskapa Jalapeño Haskap Relish, and you have yourself one mighty fine looking (and tasting!) crostini.
- Macadamia Ricotta:
- 1½ Cups Macadamia Nuts
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon White Miso Paste
- 1 Clove Garlic
- ¼ to ½ Cup Water
- 1 Baguette
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Jar haskapa Jalapeño Haskap Relish
- To Make the Macadamia Ricotta: Add macadamia nuts, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, white miso paste, garlic, and ¼ cup of water to a food processor. Blend well until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides often. Add more water as needed 1 Tablespoon at a time until a creamy ricotta texture is reached.
- To Assemble the Crostini: Preheat your oven to 425F (220C).
- Slice up your baguette, I like to cut my slices on an angle so they are prettier. Lightly brush a bit of olive oil on both sides of the slices, and lay them on a baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes, flipping once half way through until the baguette slices are nicely toasted.
- Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of the macadamia ricotta onto each toast, and then spoon over 1 to 2 tablespoons of the Haskapa Jalapeño Relish. Sever right away.