Last weekend I ran the Foam Fest with a group of my favourite people, which is a 5K obstacle course that involves a lot of running through mud and foam. I decided to celebrate with this glorious Chipotle Black Bean Kale Salad… well really we celebrated with burritos, vodka, popcorn, and lots of movie watching… but you know… eventually the next day I ate salad. Health and what not…er.
Ok so maybe I didn’t celebrate the race with salad, but I easily could have. This salad is so scrumptious and hearty delicious I just had to share it with you guys immediately. If you follow me on Instagram @itdoesnttastelikechicken, you know I am a big fan of monster salads. Get those greens in!
Hearty, spicy, bursting with a flavour bomb of beans, topped on hearty kale, and then drizzled with a little Chipotle Lime Dressing this is my new favourite salad. It’s like a fiesta in your mouth. The beans are actually so flavourful these would be awesome used in so many dishes, and they are super quick and easy to make too. Would make an awesome burrito! …but this is a salad post Sam, think salad. Geeze.
To make this recipe, just sauté up some onions and garlic, toss in a can of black beans along with tomato paste, a chipotle pepper, and some extra spices then heat through. Pile on your greenage and dig in.
Hearty, spicy, bursting with a flavour bomb of beans, topped on hearty kale, and then drizzled with a little Chipotle Lime Dressing this is my new favourite salad. It’s like a fiesta in your mouth.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 an onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 19 oz can black beans (about 2 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce , minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 a bunch of kale (about 6 cups), shredded
- 1 recipe Chipotle Lime Dressing (I used about 1/3 of the recipe)
- To prepare the beans, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes until the soften and begin to brown. Add in the black beans and all of the remaining ingredients. Stir well to combine and cook until heated through. Another 3-5 minutes.
- To assemble the salad, put the shredded kale in a large bowl and top with the prepared black beans. Drizzle on the dressing to taste. The black beans are very flavourful, so you might not need too much. Bon Appetegan!
If you liked this recipe you might also enjoy: