If you are looking for thickly coated, very sweet, similar to the kind of popcorn you get in a tin, this recipe isn’t for you.
If you are looking for quick and easy, lightly sweet, drizzled, creamy, peanut buttery, and pretty healthy popcorn recipe, than you have come to the right place! This 10 Minute Peanut Butter Popcorn is the my new favourite nibble to quickly whip up and dive onto my comfy couch for movie watching.
I LOVE me some popcorn. It’s a completely unprocessed whole grain snack, that’s very low in calories. So in other words, the truck loads of popcorn that I love to nash on are pretty healthy too! (Aside from all the vegan butter and too much salt I add). Lightyears better than chips thats for sure. I just can’t get enough of this stuff.
It’s not that I ever get bored of buttery salty popcorn, let’s not get crazy now. But I do like to switch up the flavours sometimes. I love my Sour Cream and Onion Popcorn, and I often smother my popcorn in nutritional yeast. But lately I have been totally digging (and digging into), this peanut butter popcorn. Just enough peanut butter sauce is added so that each bite is deliciously peanuty, while the popcorn still stays light and crispy. This stuff is so tasty I get excited just thinking about it!
I used to pop my popcorn in a pot with oil on the stove, but I picked up this air popper for under 20 bucks, and I must say, I’m totally in love. It makes perfectly fluffy popcorn without any added oils, so you can control exactly how much oil you choose to use or not use. It even has a little butter melting dish on top. A definite win in my book.
If you want to pop your popcorn on the stove, or in the microwave, that works too.
So while your popcorn is a poppin’, mix together the peanut butter sauce ingredients in a small pot, and cook over medium heat for around 3 minutes until the sugar is dissolved. It will foam up like this, and thats all good.
Now pour the sauce all over the popcorn while shaking the bowl to help evenly coat. You can get in there with a spoon to toss it even further. Now patiently wait a few minutes for it to cool, as the sauce is hot and you don’t want to burn your fingers or mouth (trust me on this, this is based on experience). ~fingertips aching while typing~ Choose your movie and then dig in to peanuty perfection.
- ⅓ Cup Popcorn Kernels
- 1 Tablespoons White Sugar
- 1 Tablespoons Vegan Butter (I used Earth Balance brand)
- 1 Tablespoons Natural Peanut Butter
- ¼ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pop the popcorn in an air popper, or pop with whatever method you normally use (stove top or in the microwave works fine too).
- In the meantime, add the sugar, vegan butter, peanut butter, and vanilla extract to a small pot. Put over medium heat and stir together until the sugar is dissolved about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and drizzle across the popped popcorn while shaking the bowl. Stir to mix if needed. Let the popcorn cool for a few minutes before enjoying as it will be hot!