This post is sponsored by House Foods, who I love for their super low-cal Tofu Shirataki noodles- meaning comfort food doesn’t have to be so heavy. Yasss!!
Are those not bizarrely beautiful colours!? Dark rich green, bright orange, and little highlights of purple. The artist in me is in love! I actually used red onion instead of yellow onion (my regular go to for cooking), because I knew the colours would be just so unusually amazing and totally autumn inspired.
If you’ve been following me for any length of time, then you probably know I have a deep love of noodles. Like, desert island, only one kind of food allowed, I would totally pick noodles. And when you are a total noodle addict like me, you like to invent all sorts of toppings and sauces. Guzinta is a common topping choice in my house (whatever’s in the fridge guzinta it). But today’s recipe has been more thoughtfully composed.
The goal was to make a hearty, rich in flavour, but healthy pasta recipe, and celebrate the season while I’m at it.
Butternut Squash & Kale Pasta- I could eat this pasta all day, every day (see noodle obsession notes above). Butternut squash is so sweet and tender, the kale so green and earthy, seasoned with a splash of balsamic vinegar, my obligatory onion and garlic, and finally sprinkled with vegan parmesan. Dinner served!
Don’t you feel healthier already just looking at these ingredients… yeah, me too.
To make this pasta: first, peel and cut the butternut squash into cubes. Spread the squash cubes on a large baking sheet, drizzle the oil, and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat. Bake until squash pieces are golden and fork tender.
*Try not to eat all of the squash before it makes it to the pasta… seriously, I think I ate half the tray as I was prepping the rest of the ingredients.*
In the meantime, cook the Spaghetti Shape Tofu Shirataki noodles according to package directions.
In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic until the onions have softened.
Add the kale and balsamic vinegar, and cook a couple minutes more until the kale is wilted.
Toss in the roasted butternut squash and the cooked Tofu Shirataki spaghetti and toss to combine. Sprinkle with parmegan and enjoy!
- For the Butternut Squash:
- 1 Small Butternut Squash, peeled and cut into cubes (around 4½ cups)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- For the Rest of the Pasta:
- 2 Packages Tofu Shirataki Spaghetti Shape
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ of a Red Onion, sliced (you can use other onions, but red is pretty)
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ a Bunch of Kale, destemmed and roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- Parmegan for Garnish
- To roast the butternut squash: Preheat your oven to 425F (220C). Spread the squash cubes on a large baking sheet, drizzle the oil, and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping halfway
through,until squash pieces are golden and fork tender.
- To make the pasta: Cook the spaghetti noodles according to package directions until al dente.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic until the onions have softened. Add the kale and balsamic vinegar, and cook a couple minutes more until the kale is wilted.
- Toss in the roasted butternut squash and the cooked spaghetti and toss to combine. Sprinkle with
For Tofu Shirataki noodle nutrition click here.