It’s almost the weekend, and it is finally starting to warm up! As soon as Toronto gets that first almost spring-like 8 degree celsius day, (that’s 46 degrees fahrenheit for my American friends), the streets are flooded with happy, pale, slightly winter beaten faces. The jackets come off, you inevitably see some dude in shorts, and everyone pretends it’s way warmer than it really is. Yes, us Canadians really do like talking about the weather… we can’t help it. Now is about the time when the patios start opening up, and everyone sits huddled in their winter coats, pretending they aren’t freezing and enjoys a pint… Or a mojito!
While I wasn’t eager to put on shorts, or even take off my jacket, I did feel the sudden, gleeful urge to celebrate. And how do we vegans like to celebrate? With a cocktail! Clearly. The most summery, let’s pretend it’s not winter cocktail one can make. A classic mojito is one of Andrew’s all time favourite drinks, but I felt the need to jazz it up a little bit, because, well, that’s what I do I suppose.
The green tea adds a bit of that tannin tang, while the agave sweetens it right back up. Mix that with the classic mint, lime, rum, and some sparkling water, and you are in for one light, spring-like refreshing cocktail. Kind of like a glorified lightened iced-tea… with rum! Rum ain’t your thing? Skip it for a virtuous virgin version. (Say that three times fast).
- ½ Cup Brewed and Chilled Green Tea
- 2 Tablespoons Agave (or to taste)
- Small Bunch of Fresh Mint Leaves
- ½ Lime
- 2 Ounces White Rum
- 1 Cup soda water or sparkling water
- Brew your green tea. I just make a cup of tea as usual, brew the tea for 2-4 minutes before removing the tea bag, then let it chill. You don't want to put hot tea into your cocktail!
- Add about 5-10 mint leaves to each glass and then use a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon to lightly mash the leaves a bit to release their juices.
- Add into each glass, 1 tablespoon agave (or to taste), 1 ounce of white rum, ¼ cup cooled green tea, and a big squeeze of lime. Give it a stir. Add lots of ice, then top off with soda water, and enjoy!
Featured Ingredient: Green Tea. 91 Days, 48 Recipes to go!