Peeling potatoes is one of those little kitchen chores that I should be totally cool with, but I actually hate. It's fidgety, time-consuming, potato peels go everywhere, and little nicks and cuts are a threat. I know, settle down, Sam, it's really not that big of a deal. You're right, it really isn't. BUT if you are at all like me, you are going to love my latest potato discovery, my Creamy Vegan Coconut Potatoes.
Creamy vegan coconut potatoes are like cheater scalloped potatoes. Yeah, you heard me right. The creamiest dreamiest baked potato dish, but unlike scalloped potatoes, they are SO easy to make. No peeling, slicing, or cooking the sauce separately. Nope, these little dudes are a one and done type recipe. Just add coconut milk, a bit of flour, and seasoning straight into your casserole dish, mix it up, then add the potatoes, cover with foil and bake. THAT'S IT! I swear it really is that easy.
The key here is using baby potatoes. They are perfect for this dish as they often come prewashed, and you don't need to peel or even chop them so they are good to go, no extra work involved.
The potatoes will cook to a gorgeous buttery texture, and the coconut mixture will make a glorious thick creamy sauce for a dish that's full of great flavour. The combo of coconut and thyme paired with the potatoes is so incredibly divine, it will taste like this dish took a lot more work than it actually did. It may look like a lot of sauce in the photo, but trust me, there won't be a drop left.
To make Creamy Vegan Coconut Potatoes:
In a 1.5qt casserole dish (or larger), whisk together the coconut milk, flour, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Add the potatoes and give it a stir to coat. Cover with foil and bake for 50 to 65 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
Creamy Vegan Coconut Potatoes
- 400ml can full-fat coconut milk (1 ¾ cups)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour (gluten-free all-purpose flour if preferred)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1.5 lbs yellow baby potatoes (about 5 cups)
- Preheat your oven to 400F (220C).
- In a 1.5qt casserole dish (or larger), whisk together the coconut milk, flour, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the potatoes and give it a stir to coat. Cover with foil and bake for 50 to 65 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Serve hot.