Secret # 1: I never crave soup.
Secret #2: Potatoes are not my favourite ingredient. Sure they make awesome fries, but other than that I always find them bland, boring and beige. Three of my least favourite adjectives.
Secret #3: That couldn't be less true about this Creamy Vegan Potato Soup, so gorgeous, so creamy, so decadent, so comforting...
Secret #4: After taking the photo below ↓ I not only polished off both bowls of the soup but managed to squeeze in a third. Soup obsession. Potato soup doesn't judge.
Secret #5: I now always crave soup.
Yes, it's sadly true, I pretty much devoured a good portion of this soup before it was even dinner time. I quickly turned into a couch potato... a potato soup couch potato. This is a smooth, luscious, warming from the inside out, perfect fall soup. Just what I need when it's already dark at 6pm (grumble).
After making this creamy vegan potato soup I declared that from now on, I am going to make soup. All the time. Like every single day. I went from someone who felt "meh" about soup, to someone who feels "give it to MEEEEEE" serious about soup. That's pretty serious.
I think maybe it's the pure simplicity of this soup. Just veggies, broth, non-dairy milk, and a little salt. It's really all you need. So clean, simple, and scrumptious. 3 great adjectives!
To make Creamy Vegan Potato Soup: Roughly chop up the onion, carrots, celery, and potatoes and garlic.
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, and add the olive oil. When it is hot, toss in the celery, carrots, and onions. Sauté the veggies, until they start to look a bit caramelised and delicious. Add the garlic and sautée for one minute more.
Add the potatoes and veggie broth. Cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. The soup is cooked when a fork easily pierces all the way through the veggies.
Blend up that creamy vegan potato soup up! Use an immersion blender straight in the pot. Blend until it is perfectly smooth.
If you don't have an immersion blender, you can carefully scoop some soup into a standing blender, and blend in very small batches. Remember to not fill your blender up too high or you will have a hot soup explosion!
I like my soup creamy and silky, but if you prefer some veggie chunks in yours remove some of the soup, blend, and then mix the two back together again.
Stir in the coconut milk or non-dairy milk of choice. Taste, and add salt according to your preference. This will vary depending on how salty or not salty the broth you used is, so just add a little at a time until you think the taste is perfect. I ended up using 1.5 teaspoons of salt. Heat the soup until simmering and you are ready to serve.
Sprinkle on some delicious toppings, if you are into that kind of thing (you should be into that kind of thing), and try not to become a potato soup couch potato.
Creamy Vegan Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 russet poatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 l vegetable broth (4 cups)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk (the kind in a can)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- Coconut bacon
- Green onions, chopped
- Vegan cheddar cheese
- Chives, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add the celery, carrots, onion, and garlic. Sauté the veggies, until they soften and begin to brown. Add the potatoes and veggie broth. Cover and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until a fork can easily pierce all the way through the veggies.
- Use an immersion blender straight in the pot. Blend until it is perfectly smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can carefully scoop some soup into a standing blender, and blend in very small batches. Remember to not fill your blender up too high or you will have a hot soup explosion! I like my soup creamy and silky, but if you prefer some veggie chunks in yours remove some of the soup, blend, and then mix the two back together again.
- Once blended, stir in the coconut milk. Salt to taste. Serve hot with optional toppings of choice.
If you like this recipe you might also enjoy: