Do you have asparagus fever? If you grow asparagus in your garden like my parents do, you probably are trying to think of every possible way to use it up. My parents just dropped off a big bunch for me and as I don't grow it in my garden, I was excited to devour it all immediately. Lemon Cashew Asparagus to the rescue!
Zesty, creamy, oh la la-y. This asparagus is super easy to make but seems all sorts of fancy pants. You can use it as a fabulous side dish, or as I did, just munch on it straight from the pan. #classy
But first... remember how I told you all about my experience filming with Chef Michael Smith? Well, the evidence is finally here! It really happened, and they made a cute little video out of it. Apparently, I forgot my eyebrows at home that day, but never the less, you can watch me have no idea what to do in front of 8 (yes 8) cameras. Yay! ↓↓↓
Pretty fun! Be sure to watch the videos of the other four winners here. My friend Koko manages to explode the stove! You have to sing to the stove Koko, don't you know? Well, it worked for me at least.
If that made you hungry, here's my recipe for Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce I make in the video, along with my original audition tape.
I took over the YouTube world by storm this week, as I also posted a video on my own channel. Yes, I consider two videos qualifies as taking over YouTube...watch out YouTube here I come, very...very...slowly. In this video I unbox and review (eat) a Vegan Cuts Snack Box. Don't worry, I didn't forget my eyebrows this time. (I know you were probably super concerned).
If you dug that, make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel. Once my manuscript for my cookbook is done (due it 12 days, AH!) I plan on posting lots more videos. Recipes, cooking tips, and kitchen dance lessons (kidding).
From lentils back to asparagus! So many delicious plants in this world I tell ya.
First we (I mean "I") am going to make the cashew crumble. Just grind up cashews with nutritional yeast and salt.
Grind it up in a small blender, coffee grinder, or I used an immersion blender. Whatever tool you have that you think will work best for such a small quantity. Grind it until it's crumbly, but not completely powdered. A little texture is perfect in this recipe!
Mmm crumbly. Now zest a lemon for sprinkling as well. So many sprinkles... savoury sprinkles.
Lay the asparagus in a single layer on the pan, then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Use your (clean) hands to roll and rub the asparagus so they are all evenly coated. Bake for about 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle the lemon zest over the asparagus and follow with cashew crumble. You can shake the pan so the asparagus gets coated all over. Yes please asparagus!!!
Lemon Cashew Asparagus
For the cashew crumble:
- 1 tablespoon raw or roasted cashews
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
For the asparagus:
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zested
- OVEN: Preheat your oven to 400F (200C).AIR FRYER: Preheat your air fryer to 370F (190C).
- For the Cashew Crumble: In a small blender, coffee grinder, or using an immersion blender, combine the cashews, nutritional yeast, and salt until crumbly, but still a bit of texture remains.
- For the Asparagus:OVEN: Arrange the asparagus on a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and salt and use your hands to roll and rub the asparagus to coat evenly. Bake for about 10 minutes, giving them a shake half way through, until the asparagus is tender, the skin is starting to wrinkle, and some of the asparagus has browned spots. Remove from oven, sprinkle across the lemon zest, then follow with the cashew crumble, shaking the pan to evenly coat.AIR FRYER: place the asparagus on a plate and drizzle with the olive oil and salt and use your hands to roll and rub the asparagus to coat evenly. Place the asparagus in your air fryer and fry for about 8 minutes, giving them a shake halfway through, until the asparagus is tender, the skin is starting to wrinkle, and some of the asparagus has browned spots. Remove from air fryer and transfer to your serving dish. Sprinkle across the lemon zest, then follow with the cashew crumble.