Old Fashioned Cocktails are my favourite these days. I am told it's an old man cocktail, so if it is, I guess call me an old man because I just love them. You have to love bourbon to love this cocktail, because it's basically bourbon with a small touch of va-va-voom.
I started my love for bourbon when I lived in Los Angeles. My roommate Ashley and I would celebrate with bourbon and ginger ale. By celebrate, I mean be two very respectable university students of course. Fast forward, I moved to Toronto and hadn't seen Ashley for over four years, when I had the pleasure of attending her gorgeous wedding and meeting her handsome groom. And what was on the menu, but the bride's favourite cocktail, an old fashioned. My favourite as well. It was like we grew up together, even though we were apart. Aww I miss you Ashley.
Cheers to everlasting friendships no matter how far away you are!
How about you, what's your favourite cocktail?
Old Fashioned Cocktail
- 1 ½ oz bourbon
- 2 to 3 dashes angostura bitters
- ½ to 1 ½ teaspoons superfine sugar or simple syrup
- Handful of ice
- 2 maraschino cherries
- 1 orange (to make an orange twist from)
- Measure the bourbon and bitters into a cocktail glass of choice. Traditionally old fashioned are made with one sugar cube, but I find them difficult to dissolve in the bourbon, so instead I opt for superfine sugar or simple syrup. I tend to like my old fashioned on the less sweet side of things so I add ½ a teaspoon of the sugar, but if you like a sweeter more traditional old fashion add up to 1 ½ teaspoons of the sugar.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved. Fill glass with a big handful of ice. Top with two maraschino cherries. Use a pairing knife to carefully cut a long thin strip of zest from the orange, twist it by wrapping it around your finger, then pop into the drink. Enjoy!