So many good things to celebrate today, let me count the ways:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken is officially 2 years old! That means I have been posting my recipes, and blabbing my heart out via keyboard to you guys for two full years now. Yay, happy birthday blog! Thanks blog.
- Shall we say it again, CHOCOLATE!!!! Can you believe that I went an entire year without using chocolate as a feature ingredient!? I saved the best for last, because that's what you are supposed to do with dessert... apparently. Let's celebrate all of these exciting things with Vegan Chocolate Pudding Cake.
This is a picture of love if I ever saw one. This cake is so amazing, it's warm, ooey, gooey, fudgey, chocolatey, and it has a secret super power, it makes it's own chocolate sauce! You just pop it in the oven, and when you scoop it up, you find all of these amazing pocket of chocolate pudding sauce hidden right in the cake. So cool and exciting (not to mention crazy delicious)!
This cake is made in three layers, the bottom cake layer, the middle powder layer, and the top water layer. It seems very odd, but then amazing things happen in the oven. So we are just going to go with it and trust the process.
Let's get baking! To make the bottom cake layer, whisk up the dry ingredients...
Then add in the wet and mix it all up together.
Spread that out in a lightly greased pan. Cake layer, done.
The middle powder layer is a mixture of brown and white sugar, and cocoa. Just whisk them together...
Sprinkle it over the cake layer. Shake the pan a little so the powder layer is even. Done with that layer. See, easy.
For the final layer, just pour the hot water right on top of the cake. It will make a big old puddle, and you might be curious about your creation, but just trust me, good things happen in the oven. Don't stir it, just let the water be, and pop it in the oven.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes and when you take it out it will look something like this chocolate amazingness. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes before serving then dive in!
This cake is stellar served warm, but it's still pretty darn good when served cool as well. Serve along with a big scoop of dairy-free ice-cream such as So Delicious Dairy Free Creamy Vanilla.
Vegan Chocolate Pudding Cake
For the bottom cake layer:
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder (optional to enhance flavour*)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup plant-based milk (such as soy or almond)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the middle powder layer:
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
For the top water layer:
- 1 ¼ cups hot water
- vegan vanilla ice cream (optional for serving)
- Preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Lightly grease an 8"x8" pan and set aside.
- To make the bottom cake layer, in a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, the sugar, flour, cocoa, instant espresso, and baking powder. Add the coconut oil, plant-based milk and vanilla and stir to combine. Don't over mix. Pour the batter into the pan, and use a spatula to spread the mixture evenly across the pan.
- To make the middle powder layer, in another bowl, mix together the white sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa powder. Sprinkle the powder mixture evenly over the bottom cake layer in the pan. Give the pan a shake, so the powder layer evenly covers the batter layer.
- For the top water layer, pour the hot water on top of the powder layer. Do not mix. It will look like a puddle, and that's the way it should be. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the centre looks almost set. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm with dairy-free ice-cream on the side if you like.