You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up! Er... and ginger beer. That too.
Did you ever make ice cream floats as a kid? How amazing were they!? There is truly something so magical about combining ice cream with pop (as we call it in Canada, soda as it's called in the US).
I thought it was time to bring this treat back, but I'm not talking about vanilla ice cream and root beer (although that is delicious), I wanted to try a really interesting flavour combo. Oh boy, am I glad I did. I made Vegan Coconut & Ginger Beer Floats, and this treat alone, totally made my day and it made my friend, Abbey, neigh like a horse... more on that later.
Rich, creamy, vegan coconut ice cream, topped with spicy, fizzy, ginger beer, garnished with sweet and spicy candied ginger, and a zing of lime zest.
Yes, it really is as magical tasting as it sounds.
Aren't we the cutest? Who else used to make swamp water as a kid?
I made my floats with Coconut Bliss Naked Coconut ice cream (which is one of my faves), but any vegan coconut ice cream will do. Just make sure it's coconut flavoured, and not vanilla flavoured, as you want that coconut taste!
Then top it with ginger beer of choice. This time I went with Grace Island Soda ginger beer, but a boozy ginger beer would be awesome too!
Garnish with candied ginger and lime zest, because yum, and dive in!
Vegan Coconut & Ginger Beer Floats
- 4 - 6 scoops vegan coconut ice cream
- 1 335ml bottle ginger beer, (regular or alcoholic)
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
For garnish (optional):
- 2 round slices lime,, with slits cut to fit on the glass
- 2 rounds candied ginger,, with slits cut to fit on the glass
- Fill two tall glasses with 2 - 3 scoops of coconut ice cream each. Divide the ginger beer among the glasses pouring it over the ice cream. Top with candied ginger pieces and lime zest. Add the rounds of lime and candied ginger on the side of the glass for garnish.