My mom made this Christmas appetizer last year and I instantly fell in love! So much so that I scrolled ahead in my calendar and made a note to share the recipe on my blog this year. The recipe was sent to my mom from a friend in an email, so I don't know the original source, but a little googling showed me that cranberry jalapeño dip is actually a fairly common recipe. Why oh why had I never heard of this deliciousness before!?!? This Vegan Cranberry Jalapeño Dip is so easy to make and it is absolutely delicious! Great to serve during the holidays!
Raw fresh cranberries are tossed with jalapeño, cilantro, and sugar and left to marinate overnight. You might be intimidated to bite into raw cranberries, but trust me on this. The sugar gets dissolved and takes the cranberries from mouth-punchingly sour, to a more subtle tartness. Combine the tart pops of cranberry with spice, a sweet marinade, and velvety vegan cream cheese for a total explosion of delicious flavours.
Not only is this dip super easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time, but I just love the festive colours. It truly is the perfect Christmas or holiday appetizer. This is definitely a new holiday staple for me.
To make Cranberry Jalapeño Dip:
Add the cranberries, white sugar, green onions, cilantro, lemon juice, jalapeño, and salt to a medium bowl and stir to combine. Cover and let marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or up to 2 days. I usually let it marinate overnight. The sugar will dissolve and the cranberries will become less tart.
Note: I know that seems like a lot of sugar, but trust me, those cranberries need it!
To assemble the dip, spread the vegan cream cheese in a thin layer on the bottom of your serving dish. You can use 1 tub of store-bought vegan cream cheese or you can make your own homemade cream cheese.
Spoon the cranberry mixture overtop leaving any extra liquid behind in the bowl. Serve the cranberry jalapeño dip with crackers and be prepared to be amazed at how deliciously addictive this is!
Can I freeze Vegan Cranberry Jalapeño Dip?
Yes, if kept in an air-tight container it should keep for about 4 months.
Is Vegan Cranberry Jalapeño Dip Gluten-Free?
Yes! Check out the ingredient list below.
Can Vegan Cranberry Jalapeño Dip be made nut-free?
A lot of vegan cream cheeses use nuts, so be sure to grab one that is nut-free.
Vegan Cranberry Jalapeño Dip
- 6 oz fresh cranberries (2 cups), sliced in half
- ½ cup white sugar
- 4 green onions,, chopped
- 1 handful cilantro (about ¼ cup), chopped
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ - 1 jalapeño,, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese (about 1 cup), (homemade or store-bought)
- Crackers for serving
- Add the cranberries, white sugar, green onions, cilantro, lemon juice, jalapeño, and salt to a medium bowl and stir to combine. Cover and let marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or up to 2 days. I usually let it marinate overnight. The sugar will dissolve and the cranberries will become less tart.
- To assemble the dip, spread the vegan cream cheese in a thin layer on the bottom of your serving dish. Spoon the cranberry mixture onto the cream cheese layer leaving behind any extra liquid behind in the bowl. Serve with crackers.