It happened... These Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce made me finally start a YouTube channel... eeek! I have been thinking about making videos for It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken for some time now, but what really kicked my butt into gear was a brand new red apron.
Let me explain. I went to a Pulse Feast Party (yes, that's a thing), because 2016 has been declared the International Year of Pulses. There I met Chef Michael Smith who is a really nice dude and happens to be exceedingly tall. (Note to self, if I ever meet Chef Michael Smith again, time to pull out the monster heels). The next day I got a package in the mail with a nifty red apron and an invitation to audition for Star of The Show.
To audition I had to make a little YouTube video showing a recipe featuring lentils (cue: Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce). If I win (fingers crossed), I get flown to Prince Edward Island and get to film a cooking show with Chef Michael Smith! (Hence the note about packing heels). How much fun would that be!? So this was the swift kick I needed to get my YouTube channel started.
So are you ready? Here I am! Gah. Be sure to like this video and leave a comment and subscribe to my YouTube channel if you think I should be the Star of the Show! 🙂
Did that make you hungry for tacos? It sure made me hungry! I managed to polish off 5 of these hand held numbers. Yes, I had tacos for lunch AND dinner that day.
These Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce are so quick and easy to make, they take under 30 minutes to prepare! The lentils are full of delicious spices, the tomatoes and mango add lovely fresh sweet notes, and nothing finishes off the taco better than this creamy dreamy avocado cilantro sauce.
To Make the Lentils:
Just sauté some garlic and onions. Then add in your spices to toast them up a bit and get fragrant. Now add in the lentils and vegetable broth. Cover and let simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes until the broth has been absorbed and the lentils are cooked. Those are some mighty fine looking lentils!
To Make the Avocado Cilantro Sauce:
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender, and blend to combine! Ooo saucy.
Slice the tomato, chop the mango, and finely slice the red onion. If you like warm tortillas, just wrap the tortillas in a bit of foil and then pop them in the oven for 10 to 20 minutes to heat through.
How to Assemble your Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce:
By adding a layer of the lentil mixture, followed by the toppings, and a dollop of avocado cilantro sauce. Yum!
Lentil Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce
For the lentil filling:
For the avocado cilantro sauce:
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the tacos:
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- 2 mangoes, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- To make the lentils: Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent. Add in the spices and continue to cook for 1 minute more until the spices are fragrant. Add in the vegetable broth and lentils. Cover and bring to a low simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes until all of the broth is absorbed and the lentils are cooked.
- To make the avocado cilantro sauce: Add all of the sauce ingredients to a food processor or blender, and blend until your sauce is smooth.
- To prepare the tacos: On a gas stove, use tongs to hold a tortilla over a flame for about 20 seconds per side to warm them. If you do not have a gas stove, warm the tortillas, by preheating the oven to 350F (180C), wrapping the tortillas in foil, and baking for 10 to 20 minutes until warmed throughout.
- Assemble the tacos by spreading the lentil mixture on a tortilla, adding toppings, and dolloping some sauce across the top.