This is my love language.
Ooey, gooey, stretchy, melty, where have you been all my life, vegan mozzarella. I’m pretty sure I just made all my vegan dreams come true. I made this recipe four times this week, FOUR. That’s how amazing this is. Just dip some tortilla chips in this bad boy and welcome to heaven.
You can also use this anywhere you would like a melty mozzarella experience, which is, um, everywhere! Lets see, pizza, lasagna, grilled cheese, dips, the possibilities of deliciousness are endless.
I haven’t even gotten to some of the best news yet. This takes only 7 ingredients, one of them being water. It takes only 15 minutes to make, AND it doesn’t even have any oils or “bad stuff”. Can you tell I’m excited? I’m SO excited.
So what makes it stretchy and gooey. Tapioca! Who knew right? It’s the main ingredient in Daiya, a well known brand of vegan cheese. Those people at Daiya are some smart cookies, er.. well some smart cheeses, because they knew what was up. Tapioca provides this amazing stretchy, melty quality that any good vegan cheese deserves.
All you do is soak the cashews for a couple of hours or overnight. Or if you need to eat this immediately (and I always do), you can skip the soaking, and instead boil the cashews for 10 minutes until soft. Then toss all the ingredients into a blender and blend until completely smooth. It will be very watery, don’t worry, it will get cheesy!
Pour it in a small sauce pan, and heat over medium high heat. Stir to keep anything from burning. You will start to see clumps forming.
Then all of a sudden, magic! Everything comes together and makes this cheesy, melty, deliciousness. Keep stirring and cooking for another minute or two, to make sure it’s finished firming up. It should take about 5 minutes to cook total. That’s it! Done. So easy.
If you want to save it for later, store in an air tight container in the fridge. It won’t firm up like a hard cheese, it will stay pretty soft, but let’s get real, who needs hard mozzarella anyways?
Serve as a dip, spread onto some toast, dollop onto pizza, do whatever your creative cooking spirit tells you. Don’t worry if you eat it all in one sitting (cause I would never do that), you can always make more.
Items I’m Drooling Over Right Now:
- Tapioca Starch $9 | 4.6 Stars our of 200+ Reviews
- Mini Skillet $9 | 4.6 Stars our of 7,200+ Reviews
- My one true love (aka Blendtec) $409 | 4.6 our of 300+ Reviews
- ¼ Cup Raw Cashews
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons Tapioca Starch (also known as Tapioca Flour)
- 1 Tablespoon of Nutritional Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- First boil or soak the cashews. To Soak the Cashews: cover with water and soak for 4 hours or overnight. To Boil the Cashews: Cover with water and bring to a boil for 10 to 15 minutes until tender.
- Drain the cashews and add them along with the water, and all the remaining ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth. It will be very watery.
- Pour into a small sauce pan and heat over medium high heat, while stirring. If you don't have a high powered blender, you may want to pour the liquid through a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth into the pot, to remove any cashew bits that didn't grind up. This will ensure a smooth cheese texture. As you stir it will start forming clumps, and then all of a sudden it will become a cheesy gooey mass of yumminess. This takes about 5 minutes. Continue to cook and stir for an additional 2 minutes to make sure it has firmed up completely. Use for anything you like! Scoop up with tortilla chips, dollop onto pizza before baking, make a grilled cheese sandwich, or whatever your hearts desire. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Feature Ingredient: Tapioca. 139 Days, 61 Recipes to go!