Everyone loves a good sequel, and as I am not currently starring in an extreme kung fu, fast cars, sweaty muscles, calmly walking away from an explosion- movie, I think this calls for (drum roll please) a food sequel! Shocking, I know. Almost action movie shocking... almost.
Last year I posted, 5 Vegan Sandwiches, and you loved it! So what better way to celebrate than to come back with 5 MORE Vegan Sandwiches. These babies range all the way from the smokey, hearty, action movie style: BBQ Black Bean Sandwich. To the charming, sweet, and slightly sophisticated chick flick: PB, Pear and Coconut Sandwich. Let's check out the preview. Scroll down slowly for added drama ↓
Oooooooo, aaaahhhh, sandwich-y.
There are 5 sandwiches recipes, all right here. One for every day of the work week, although I am a big fan of sandwiches for dinner too. Many of these can be prepared in advance, so check the notes for tips. Now let's get sandwiching! (Said in an awesome action movie kind of way).
BBQ Black Bean Sandwich
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 19oz can black beans (2 cups), drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup vegan BBQ sauce, plus more for drizzling
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cilantro or parsley for garnish, chopped
- Bread, toast or tortilla
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. When hot add in the onions and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown. Add the black beans, BBQ sauce, and salt and pepper. Heat through.
- Pile the beans on bread, toast, or a tortilla, garnish with cilantro, then drizzle a little extra BBQ sauce on top.
Cilantro Hummus & Peppers Sandwich
- 1 19oz can chickpeas (2 cups), drained and rinsed
- ½ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- Bread, toast, or tortilla
- Add the chickpeas, cilantro, tahini, water, lime juice, salt and pepper to a food processor. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Spread a thick layer of the cilantro hummus on bread, toast, or tortilla and then layer with the sweet red pepper.
Mexican Avocado Sandwich
- Scoop out the flesh of the avocado and put in a medium bowl. Add the lime juice, salt, and pepper. Lightly mash with a fork. Stir in the black beans.
- Spread a thick layer of the avocado mixture onto bread, toast, or a tortilla. Top with cilantro and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.
- Top with cilantro and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.
PB, Pear & Coconut Sandwich
- 1 slice bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ pear (any kind), sliced
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- Spread the peanut butter on the toast, top with pear slices and then sprinkle with coconut flakes.
Asian Portobello Sandwich
- Mix together the rice vinegar, oil, soy sauce, agave, and garlic in a medium bowl. Add the portobello and toss to coat. Let the mushrooms marinate for 10 - 20 minutes, turning every now and then.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, add the mushrooms and the remaining marinade. Sauté for about 5 minutes, then flip the slices and sauté another 5 minutes so that both sides are caramelized and the mushrooms are tender.
- Layer the sandwich with spinach and red onion, then top with the portobello slices. Drizzle with hoisin sauce. Best served hot.