Once upon a time there was a salad that didn’t suck… and so it lived happily ever after… until I ate it. Muhahaha goodbye salad!
I love a good meal salad. I’m not talking about those lightly dressed greens on the side, I mean a hearty, satisfying, eat your veggies and lick your fingers kind of salad. This BBQ Chickpea Salad fits the bill.
First of all, I get to eat chickpeas, which is my #1 favourite bean (pea?) of them all. Sorry other beans, it’s true. I ❤ Chickpeas.
Secondly, I get to cover them in BBQ sauce, is there another explanation needed? I’ll give one anyways: Recently some of my friends (amazingly awesome friends I might add), are trying to go vegan (see they’re awesome). For any new vegan, I think using BBQ sauce or any other traditional “meat flavourings” (that sounds gross) on your food makes your meals more familiar and comforting. So BBQ sauce is a win win.
Thirdly, you get to pack in a rainbow of vegetable colours. You know that’s gonna be healthy by just looking at it. Eat the rainbow they say… no, not Skittles (although they are totally vegan).
Fourthly (is fourthly a thing?) I get to eat a ginormous bowl of food. I love eating ginormous bowls of food. Size matters.
Lastly, this salad meets all of my qualifications for what a good meal should be. Easy, healthy, satisfying, scrumptious, and totally vegan. Enough said, I need to eat this thing!
To make this salad, just simmer the chickpeas in some BBQ sauce until the sauce thickens and sticks to the chickpeas. Yummy saucy chickpeas. Then chop up all the veggies, and are you ready for it? Slow mo scrolling please ↓
Oooo yeah, that’s how I like it. A little drizzle of my Creamy Ranch Dressing, and you are looking mighty fine salad.
- 1 19oz Can of Chickpeas or 2 Cups of Cooked Chickpeas
- ½ Cup of your favourite BBQ Sauce (check ingredients to make sure it is vegan)
- 6 Cups Romain Lettuce (about two romain hearts)
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Cucumber Slices
- Several Thin Slices of Red Onion (optional)
- 1 Cup Cooked Corn Kernels (frozen and thawed works fine)
- Lime Wedges for Garnish
- 6 Tablespoons Vegan Creamy Ranch Dressing (or to taste)
- You can use my recipe for vegan ranch or any store-bought brand will work fine as well. If you don't want to make the full recipe of ranch dressing, you can half the recipe which will make more than enough for this recipe.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to a sauce pan with the BBQ sauce and put over medium heat. Let the chickpeas simmer in the sauce for about 5 to 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and sticks to the chickpeas. Remove from heat.
- Chop up the romaine lettuce, slice the cherry tomatoes in half, slice the cucumber and thinly slice the red onion if using.
- For two meal sized salads, divide the lettuce among two large bowls. Then divide all of the vegetable and the BBQ chickpeas on top of the lettuce. I like to pile each ingredient in it's own section so it looks pretty, but you can arrange it however you like. Drizzle with creamy vegan ranch dressing and garnish with a wedge of lime.