You may remember, way back on June 12th of 2014, I started a
stupid, difficult, overwhelming, wonderfully, brilliant challenge. I decided that in 1 year I would post 100 recipes featuring 100 new ingredients. The 1/100/100 challenge. So here I stand and say sit and type, I have officially written 50 vegan recipes featuring 50 different ingredients, and now I have 50 more to go. You can see the first 50 recipes here.
Well that’s very good news, right!? The bad news is I only have exactly 100 days left. Heart attack! Where did the last 265 days of precious cooking time go? Moving twice, my job, and dreading going out into the well below freezing temperatures might have something to do with it. But alas, never fear! I promise you 50 more vegan recipes that you can
brag about cook for all your friends who think vegan food is gross.
Let’s celebrate with a big glass of wine and a giant bowl of Creamy Vegan Sun-dried Tomato Pasta. Omnomnom.
Wait, there is no wine in the house, damn you freezing rain for keeping me away from the wine store! Ehem, on to the recipe.
If you like creamy, and if you like pasta, you will like this dish. And if you don’t like those things, then you are wrong.
The creaminess comes from a homemade cashew cream, (seriously cashews, what can’t you do!?), toss that with lots of sautéed garlic, chewy and salty sun-dried tomatoes, a big handful of fresh basil, and hot pasta, then say hello to a scrumptious bowl of yum.
All you’re going to do is soak or boil cashews until they are tender, then blend with water until you reach a creamy smooth sauce.
Slice basil, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Saute the garlic with sun-dried tomatoes until golden and delectable.
Stir in cream, water, tomato paste, and basil, then toss with hot pasta. Easy, peasy, yes pleasey.
- For the Cashew Cream:
- ½ Cup Raw Cashews
- ½ Cup Water (plus more for boiling or soaking)
- For the Sun-dried Tomato Sauce:
- 5 Cloves of Garlic
- ½ Cup Sun-dried tomatoes (the dry kind, not in oil)
- ½ Cup Fresh Basil
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Cup of Water
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 450 grams Pasta of Choice (for gluten free, use a gluten free pasta such as brown rice pasta)
- Begin by making the cashew cream, This can be made ahead of time and will store in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week. I sometimes double the recipe to have some left over for other recipes. If you like the soaking method, then cover the cashews in cold water and soak for 3 to 8 hours until soft. Or if you like the quick method, put the cashews in a small sauce pan and cover with water, boil for 10 - 15 minutes until they are soft.
- Drain off water and add the cashews to a blender with ½ cup fresh water. Blend, stopping to scrape the sides until completely creamy and smooth, then set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook your pasta according to the directions.
- In the meantime, slice the garlic and the basil into thin strips. My sun-dried tomatoes came already sliced, but if yours are whole, slice them into thin strips too.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes to the oil and sauté, stirring frequently until garlic is golden.
- Reduce heat and stir in the cashew cream, 1 cup of water, tomato paste, and basil. Once it is hot and bubbling, remove from heat. It will only take a minute or two.
- Drain the pasta, and add the hot pasta into the pan with the sauce, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve right away.
Featured ingredient: Sun-dried tomatoes. 100 days, 49 Recipes to go.