You may remember, way back on June 12th of 2014, I started a
stupid, difficult, overwhelming, wonderfully, brilliant challenge. I decided that in 1 year I would post 100 recipes featuring 100 new ingredients. The 1/100/100 challenge. So here I stand and say sit and type, I have officially written 50 vegan recipes featuring 50 different ingredients, and now I have 50 more to go.
Well that's very good news, right!? The bad news is I only have exactly 100 days left. Heart attack! Where did the last 265 days of precious cooking time go? Moving twice, my job, and dreading going out into the well below freezing temperatures might have something to do with it. But alas, never fear! I promise you 50 more vegan recipes that you can
brag about cook for all your friends who think vegan food is gross.
Let's celebrate with a big glass of wine and a giant bowl of Creamy Vegan Sun-dried Tomato Pasta. Omnomnom.
Wait, there is no wine in the house, damn you freezing rain for keeping me away from the wine store! Ehem, on to the recipe.
If you like creamy, and if you like pasta, you will like this dish. And if you don't like those things, then you are wrong.
The creaminess comes from a homemade cashew cream, (seriously cashews, what can't you do!?), toss that with lots of sautéed garlic, chewy and salty sun-dried tomatoes, a big handful of fresh basil, and hot pasta, then say hello to a scrumptious bowl of yum.
All you're going to do is soak or boil cashews until they are tender, then blend with water until you reach a creamy smooth sauce.
Slice basil, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Sauté the garlic with sun-dried tomatoes until golden and delectable.
Stir in cream, water, tomato paste, and basil, then toss with hot pasta. Easy, peasy, yes pleasey.
(click stars to vote)
Vegan Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta
- 450 grams pasta (any shape), (gluten-free if preferred)
For the cashew cream:
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup water
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook your pasta according to the package directions.
- To make the cashew cream: Boil the cashews in water for abou 10 minutes until tender and drain. Add the boiled cashews and ½ cup fresh water to a blender and blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- To make the sun-dried tomato sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium. When hot, add the garlic and sun-dried tomatoes and sauté, for 1 - 2 minutes until the garlic is just starting to turn golden.
- Reduce heat and stir in the cashew cream, 1 cup of water, tomato paste, and basil. Once hot and bubbling, remove from heat, it will only take a minute or two. Add the hot pasta into the pan with the sauce, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve hot.
Featured ingredient: Sun-dried tomatoes.