This one goes out to the new vegans in the hood. Welcome, my friends!
Back when I was working my vegan wooing powers (the powers are strong!) on my cousin Gretty who was considering going vegan, she would ask me a million questions about what I ate (once she started to get over the whole protein thing). "Well, what do you do about butter?" I would tell her there was vegan butter. "What about mayonnaise?" there's totally vegan mayonnaise too.
It seemed to blow Gretty's mind that there were so many vegan products available, making the switch super easy. She told me I had to make a post about it because people like her had no idea it could be that easy. 1 ½ years later, I'm finally getting this post written (and yes, she has been vegan for 1 ½ years now, woot!)
I thought this one would be the most fun expressed through video, so watch away and enjoy.
*Not all of the brands and blogs linked below are 100% vegan. I did my best to link directly to the vegan products where possible, but if not clearly labelled vegan, just double check the ingredients before purchasing anything.
One of the common things I hear people say is "I could go vegan except for cheese". Well, there is totally vegan cheese! I even made a post called 16 Life Changing Vegan Cheese Recipes that starts off by discussing cheese addiction. (It's totally a thing)! If you are a cheese addict (I was), there is good news for you, vegan cheeses totally exist. Not only can you get some pretty yummy vegan cheese on the market, but it can be super easy to make your own as well. My go-to mozzarella and nacho cheese will help you cover the basics.
As far as the rest of dairy products go, they have all be veganized and are easy to find in the stores or make yourself. Everything from non-dairy milks (there are so many vegan milk options!), vegan butters, yogurts, sour cream, you name it, it has been made.
Here is a list of links for all of the brands, and recipe photos I show in the above Youtube video. There are many more brands that I am sure I missed, and many more recipes available online. So keep your eyes open! 🙂
VEGAN CHEESE BRANDS:
- Chao Slices
- Daiya Cheese
- Go Veggie
- Happy Heart Vegan Gourmet
- Kite Hill
- Teese Vegan Cheese
- Treeline Cheese
VEGAN CHEESE RECIPES:
- Lands and Flavors Basic Almond Cheese
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Cranberry Thyme Cheese Ball
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Easy Vegan Blue Cheese
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Sunflower Seed Cheese
- Full of Plants Vegan Aged Camembert Cheese
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Melty Stretchy Gooey Vegan Nacho Cheese
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Melty Stretchy Gooey Vegan Mozzarella
VEGAN BUTTER BRANDS:
VEGAN BUTTER ALTERNATIVES:
- Olive oil
- Coconut Oil
VEGAN BUTTER RECIPES:
- A Virtual Vegan Easy Vegan Butter
- Fork and Beans Vegan Butter Substitute
VEGAN MILK BRANDS:
- Almond Breeze
- Califia Farms
- Earth's Own
- Hemp Bliss
- Pacific Foods
- Rice Dream
- Ripple Foods
- So Delicious Dairy Free
VEGAN MILK RECIPES:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Strain-Free Cashew Milk
- Tasty Yummies How to Make Nut Milk
- The Herbal Spoon How to Make Rice Milk
- Running to the Kitchen Vanilla Coconut Oat Milk
- Wallflower Kitchen Raw Nutella Milk
VEGAN COFFEE CREAM BRANDS:
VEGAN HEAVY CREAM FOR COOKING:
VEGAN COFFEE CREAM RECIPES:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Best Cashew Coffee Creamer
- Kitchen Treaty How to Make Almond Milk Coffee Creamer
- Life Currents Coconut Milk Coffee Creamer
- Running with Spoons Dairy-Free Coffee Creamer
- Fooduzzi Dairy-Free Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
VEGAN YOGURT BRANDS:
VEGAN YOGURT RECIPES
- Ceara's Kitchen Vegan Yogurt
- The Kitchn How to Make Dairy-Free Coconut Yogurt
- My Vega Homemade Almond Milk Dairy-Free Yogurt
- KQUD Yes, You can Make Great Non-Dairy Yogurt at Home
VEGAN SOUR CREAM BRANDS:
VEGAN SOUR CREAM RECIPES:
- Gluten Free Vegan Pantry The Best Damn Vegan Sour Cream
- Healthy Blender Recipes Tony's Vegan Sour Cream
VEGAN CREAM CHEESE BRANDS:
- Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet
- Go Veggie
- Violife Foods
VEGAN CREAM CHEESE RECIPES:
- PETA2 Tofu Cream Cheese
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Cashew Cream Cheese
VEGAN WHIPPED CREAM BRANDS:
- So Delicious
VEGAN WHIPPED CREAM RECIPE:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream
VEGAN ICE CREAM BRANDS:
VEGAN ICE CREAM RECIPES:
- One Ingredient Chef One Ingredient Ice Cream
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken The Creamiest Vegan Fudgesicles
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Veganized: Black Ice Cream
For anyone who loves the flavour of eggs, I always recommend that they pick up some black salt (also called kala namak). It's actually pink in colour, but don't confuse it with himalayan salt which is not at all the same thing. Black salt has the weirdest quality where it really taste just like eggs. Use it in place of regular salt on a tofu scramble or any other egg-like recipe and prepare to have your mind blown!
VEGAN EGG BRANDS:
DIY VEGAN EGG REPLACERS FOR BAKING
- Ground Chia of flax (grind the flax yourself for best results and use
- Bananas (1 small ripe banana is equivalent to 1 egg)
- Applesauce (¼ cup is equivalent to 1 egg)
- Silken Tofu (¼ cup silken tofu is equivalent to 1 egg)
VEGAN EGG RECIPES:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Tofu Scramble Breakfast of Vegan Champions
- Fat Free Vegan Chickpea Omelette Mix
- Mouthwatering Vegan Perfect Vegan Fried Egg... Sunny Side Up
- Mouthwatering Vegan The Ultimate Genius Vegan Egg
VEGAN MAYONAISE BRANDS:
VEGAN MAYONAISE RECIPES:
- Simple Vegan Blog Vegan Mayonnaise
- The Kitchn How to Make Easy Vegan Mayonnaise
- Serious Eats Easy Vegan Mayonnaise (with aquafaba)
There are a million trillion billion meat substitutes out there. Ok maybe not that much, but there are a lot! More options are becoming available all the time, it's the new trend!
Personally, I only eat mock meats very occasionally (not that I think anything is wrong with them!), but I just prefer homemade and whole food approaches. I could (and almost do), eat beans, tofu, lentils, or some other bean like thing everyday. I just find them so satisfying and scrumptious when prepared right.
VEGAN MEAT BRANDS:
- Sweet Earth Foods
- Beyond Meat
- Impossible Foods
- Light Life
- MorningStar Farms *I made an error in the video and most of the MorningStar Farms products I showed actually contain eggs. Boo! Luckily some of the products (including the Hickory BBQ Riblets shown in the video) are vegan. Just search "vegan" on their site.
- Field Roast
- Sophie's Kitchen
- Vegan Magic (vegan bacon grease)
- Upton's Naturals
- The Herbivorous Butcher
- YamChops (Toronto, ON)
VEGAN GROUND BEEF RECIPES:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Tofu Bolognese
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken The Best Vegan Chili Ever
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Sweet Korean Lentils
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Seriously The Best Lentil Shepherd's Pie
VEGAN BURGER RECIPES:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken The Best Vegan Seitan Burger
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Jerk Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burgers
- Catching Seeds California Burger
- Happy Healthy Life Easy Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
- Minimalist Baker Mexican Green Chili Veggie Burger
VEGAN BEEFY RECIPES:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Seitan Steak
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Italian Seitan Meatballs
- Delightful Delicious Delovely Vegan BBQ Ribs
- Girl and the Kitchen PF Changs Vegan Mongolian "Beef"
- Vegan Sandra Perfect Homemade Vegan Steaks
VEGAN CHICKEN-ISH RECIPES:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Seitan Tenders
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Crispy Breaded Tofu Steaks
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken BBQ Chickpea Salad
- Jessica in the Kitchen Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Wings
VEGAN FISHY RECIPES:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Tofu Fillets
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Tofish and Chips
- Elephantastic Vegan Vegan Fish Burger
- One Green Planet Vegan Fish n Chips
- No Recipes Better "Tunafish" Sandwich Recipe
VEGAN BACON RECIPES:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Banana Peel Bacon
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Quick & Easy Mushroom Bacon
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Tofu Bacon Bits
VEGGIE DOG & SAUSAGE RECIPES:
- It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken Vegan Italian Seitan Sausages
- Fat Free Vegan Kitchen Homemade Veggie Dogs
- One Green Planet How to Make Homemade Spicy Italian Sausage
- Yumsome The Worlds Best Vegan Sausages
- Key Ingredient Vegan Sausage Patties Even Meat Eaters Will Love
If you want it vegan, chances are it's been made vegan. I have even tried a vegan honey, called Bee Free Honee made out of apples that was sent to me by a reader, (thank you!), and was super delish.
Along with jello, many candies contain gelatin as well (boo!!) but I already put together a list of 40+ Vegan Gummy Candies That are Actually Vegan.
VEGAN HONEY ALTERNATIVES:
VEGAN JEL BRANDS:
- Cool Cups
- Simply Delish
VEGAN GELATIN ALTERNATIVE:
VEGAN CHOCOLATE BRANDS:
- Endangered Species
- Giddy Yoyo
- Galerie Au Chocolate
- Enjoy Life Foods
- No Whey Chocolate
- Terra Nostra Chocolate
I hope you enjoyed this post and found it helpful. Let me know if you have any questions, or if you found any particularly cool vegan products below in the comments.
If you enjoyed this post you might also like:
Sheilah Scott says
Thanks so much for the encouragement on vegan eating. I've been back and forth with vegan, vegetarian, and good ol' American diet.
Vegan is the better of all 3...feel it in my bones, mind, and gut!! Have a blessed day!
Sam Turnbull says
That's wonderful Sheilah!
If you're fortunate enough to have an Aldi near you, please, please try their "Earth Grown" Vegan cream cheese, sour cream (new!) and also new- ice cream! Yum, yum and yum! They are really amazing! Also, Trader Joe's has the best almond shredded mozzarella cheese EVER!!!!! (without a funny consistency/after taste like many have!) My husband even likes all of the above (who is far from vegan!)
Sam Turnbull says
Lovely! I live in Canada and we don't have either of those stores there but perhaps the brands will make their way to Canada soon. Thanks for the tips, Kathie!
Hello, love your post, just wondering if these items would be considered processed foods? I am just starting to research vegan options, have already tried the Dalia products and really found it good!
Sam Turnbull says
"Whole foods represent foods that retain their natural composition as well as contain no artificial additives or preservatives and have gone through little or no processing (i.e. cooking, grinding, or blending)." So yes, many of the products mentioned are processed foods.
Suzette Ellis says
There's also a honey alternative called, Bee Free Honee.
Sam Turnbull says
Yes! I've had that before it's awesome!
Steven Cowling says
I love it! I live in an area where there's not a lot of vegan stuff in the grocery stores. This is soooo helpful!
Love your blog! Keep up the good work!
Sam Turnbull says
Thank you so much, Steve! Glad you found it helpful 🙂