This summer I noticed the trend of black ice cream. There are lineups everywhere for this stuff in Toronto, but I haven't seen vegan black ice cream available anywhere. So with my new YouTube series I decided to try making my own recipe. Let's go Veganized: Black Ice Cream!
I put a poll on Instagram @itdoesnttastelikechicken and you voted for a chocolate flavoured black ice cream. So I set up my camera, and filmed myself making a DIY veganized black ice cream!
Strange looking for sure, but it was actually quite tasty! If you ever want to make the recipe for yourself I have written it down below.
VEGANIZED: Black Ice Cream
For the sweetened condensed coconut milk:
- 1 400ml can full-fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup white sugar
For the vegan black ice cream base:
- To make sweetened condensed coconut milk: mix together the full-fat coconut milk and white sugar in a saucepan. Put over medium heat and bring to a simmer until it's reduced by half. About 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool in fridge or freezer.
- To make the vegan black ice cream base: In a large bowl mix together the cooled sweetened condensed coconut milk with the cocoa powder, 3 tablespoons activated charcoal, vanilla extract, and salt.
- To make the whipping cream: scoop all the hardened coconut cream from the can of chilled premium coconut milk, leaving the coconut water behind. Add the coconut cream to a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of activated charcoal. Beat the coconut cream lightly until it is fluffy.
- Fold in half of the whipping cream into the black ice cream base, then once combined fold the remaining half. Pour into a loaf pan and freeze for 3 to 4 hours until set. If you freeze it for longer you may need to let it soften on the counter for 20 minutes or more until it's scoopable.