It's time that I give you the tools to take your sandwich game to the next level. And that level is pickled sandwich veggies. Inspired by Vietnamese pickles often used in my Grilled Tofu Banh Mi sandwiches. These sweet and salty veggies are so tasty I have been slapping them on every sandwich, veggie dog, veggie burger, and salad!
The best part is that you don't need canning skills or even to plan ahead like you would with regular pickled things. These pickled sandwich veggies take only 15 minutes to whip up, and they are ready to eat almost instantly! No really, it's true! They taste deliciously pickled in just 15 minutes of soaking, or you can let them happily hang out in your fridge for over a week. Hello, convenient flavour booster!
Pickled sandwich veggies are sweet, salty, sour, crunchy, and spicy (if you like spicy). These aren't sour and bold like dill pickles, these are the friendliest little pickles ever with their tiny size and sweet taste. Can pickles be friendly?
To make quick and easy pickled sandwich veggies: matchstick all the veggies and thinly slice the jalapeno (if using). I doubled the recipe so I could make one spicy jar and one non-spicy jar. ~Pat self on back~
I used cucumber, peeled carrots, and peeled daikon radish. If you can't find daikon radish, thin slices of cherry belle radishes (the regular round red ones) will work instead. You could also keep it really simple and do just carrots, or just cucumber, or just radish, but I think this trio of flavours and textures is what really makes your sandwich game strong!
Shove all those veggies into a 500ml (16oz) jar. Mix together the pickling liquid and fill the jar to the top. Let your veggies pickle for at least 15 minutes before enjoying. Yep, they really will taste pickle-y already! Or you can store them covered in the fridge for over a week.
Quick and Easy Pickled Sandwich Veggies
For the veggies
- 1 medium carrot (about ½ cup), peeled and matchsticked
- ½ daikon radish (about ½ cup), peeled and matchsticked
- ¼ medium cucumber (about ½ cup), matchsticked
- ½ - 1 jalapeno,, thinly sliced (option for a spicy pickle)
For the pickling liquid:
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pack the carrots, daikon radish, cucumber, and jalapeno (if using) into a 500ml (16oz) jar. If you have more room in your jar, just matchstick up a bit more veg and add it to the jar so that it is full.
- Stir all the pickling liquid ingredients together in a measuring cup or (another vessel that is easy to pour from) until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour over the veggies until the jar is filled to the top. If you have leftover pickling liquid, just discard it. Let the veggies pickle for as little as 15 minutes before using, or store covered in the fridge for over a week.