Oh, it's scrumptious alright! I had a sudden craving for kid birthday party food. Maybe it's because it's back to school time and I am seeing all these little kiddos headed off with their oversized backpacks. But chex mix, or perhaps you called it party mix. That crispy, crunchy, addictive snack was just screaming my name this week.
If you are new to chex mix, it's basically just cereals, pretzels, and nuts seasoned with butter and Worcestershire sauce. Which of course, makes it not vegan. Not only because traditional butter isn't vegan, but Worcestershire sauce contains fish. Yeah, I know, yucky!
While you can purchase vegan Worcestershire sauce, I've never seen it in my grocery store (and you know how I feel about hard to find ingredients)... not my fave. So I drummed up this recipe to have all the classic flavours of the original buttery Worcestershire sauce coating, but of course, totally vegan, and totally easy to prepare.
And let me tell you, this stuff is addictive. Crunchy, munchy, savoury, umami, and all things snackable. While every piece is delicious, I ended up digging around the bowl looking for the extra dark pieces that had more sauce on them, just like you look for those extra buttery pieces of popcorn. It ends up being the worst game because before you know it, you've eaten half the bowl. Scrumptious Vegan Chex Mix for the win!
To make Scrumptious Vegan Chex Mix: Add all the seasoning ingredients to a small pot and melt over medium heat. It won't really mix together too well, and that's just fine., don't worry about it.
Add the cereals, pretzels, and nuts to a large bowl. Pour the melted seasoning sauce over the chex mixture while stirring to evenly coat.
Spread the mixture onto a large rimmed baking sheet. My baking sheet was a little crowded, but it all worked out fine. If your sheet is smaller you may want to spread the mix across two baking sheets. Bake for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes until the mix has crisped up and become evenly golden. Let cool before serving or storing in an air-tight container. Snack away my friends!
Scrumptious Vegan Chex Mix
For the seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
For the chex mix:
- 4 cups Chex* or similar cereal (see notes)
- 2 cups Cheerios or similar cereal
- 2 cup mini pretzels
- ¾ cup roasted almonds
- ¾ cup roasted cashews
- Preheat your oven to 250F (130C).
- Add all the seasoning ingredients to a small pot and melt over medium heat.
- Add the cereals, pretzels, and nuts to a large bowl. Pour the melted seasoning sauce over the chex mixture while stirring to evenly coat. Spread the mixture onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes until the mix has crisped up and become evenly golden. Let cool before serving or storing in an air-tight container.