It has been hot, hot, hot in Toronto! I have a love/hate relationship with the heat.
Love: summer dresses, sunglasses, my little vegetable garden, drinks on patios, and excuses to go to the beach way too often.
Hate: applying sunscreen constantly, getting it in my eye, causing my eye to water profusely and therefor having mascara run down my face making me look like I have a black eye, but of course not discovering this until after I chatted up the cute boy in the coffee shop. We’ve all been there, right? Right?? Anybody??? Sigh.
One thing I do love about summer is how my cravings for cold crispy fruit and veggies reach an all time high! All I want is fresh, sweet, smoky flavours… and peanut sauce. Because when don’t I want peanut sauce?
These Smoked Tofu & Mango Spring Rolls hit all my summer cravings, the sweet mango, the creamy avocado, the crisp red pepper and cabbage, the layer of smoked tofu, and of course peanut sauce. Yes!
Friends, do you know of the wonders of smoked tofu? It is super common in my grocery store, so I am hoping it’s easy for you to pick up as well. It’s one of my favourite toppings for a quick sandwich (note: I never call sandwiches sammie’s because that’s my name so it sounds weird to me). If you are looking for a kind of sliced meat substitute but you don’t want the more processed stuff, smoked tofu is where it’s at. It adds the perfect amount of oomph to these rolls.
Check it! So much rainbow deliciousness. We all know I am a fan of a rainbow of veggies. Hello Rainbow Shirataki Bowl, I just can’t help but want the full spectrum of flavour. Taste the rainbow! (And not in the artificial Skittles kind of way… even though Skittles are totally vegan).
To make these rolls, chop up all your veggies and the tofu into long strips.
Run a sheet of rice paper under warm water for a few seconds, you can just run it under the tap or fill a bowl with warm water. Lay it on a clean working surface, it will be firm, but will soften quickly. Lay a few slices of each ingredients on top, and when the rice paper is softened you can roll it all up like a burrito. Repeat until all of your fillings are used up.
In the meantime make the peanut sauce by combining everything in a bowl. Use that for dipping and feast away!
The perfect combo of smoky tofu, sweet mango, creamy avocado and crisp veggies, all topped with a peanut dipping sauce. Perfect vegan, vegetarian, gluten free appetizer.
- 10 - 12 sheets of rice paper
- 2 mangoes, sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 1 block smoked tofu sliced
- 1/4 of a red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 2 limes, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon Sriracha or other hot sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons agave
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Run a sheet of rice paper under warm water for a few seconds, you can just run it under the tap or fill a bowl with warm water. Lay it on a clean working surface, it will be firm, but will soften quickly. Lay a few slices of each ingredients on top, and when the rice paper is softened you can roll it all up like a burrito. Repeat until all of your fillings are used up.
- In the meantime make the peanut sauce by combining everything in a bowl.