My mom: “We have too much celery, do something with it.”
Me: “Like what?”
My mom: “Cream of celery soup.”
My mom: “Ohmygoodness this is so yummy. Omnomnomnom.”
Me: “Ohmygoodness this is so yummy. Omnomnomnom.”
The lessons learned.
- This is exactly what you should do when you have celery that needs to be used up.
- Classic recipes are classics for a reason.
- My version takes the classic flavours and kicks it up a notch by making it a vegan one pot wonder.
When pondering how to make a celery soup actually interesting, I knew that adding cashew cream, was a very good idea. I mean cashew cream, yum. Instead of making the cashew cream separately, I decided, hey, why not make it right in the same pot!
In this recipe you simmer the cashews right along with the rest of the soup. This makes them very soft (the same result as soaking cashews). Then when you blend the soup up, the cashews blend right along with it making cream right in the soup. Insta-creamy soup! I feel so clever right now.
The result is a soup that tastes insanely good. Full of delicious celery flavour, velvety, deeply flavoured, and totally scrumptious. Enjoy as an appetizer, or make it into a meal by serving with a crusty baguette.
This recipe is so quick and easy. Just take your celery and onion and chop them up. Then mince the garlic.
Heat olive oil in a big pot then sauté the celery, onions, and garlic for about 5 to 10 minutes until translucent.
Pour in the vegetable broth and water, then slowly pour in the flour as you whisk, to help avoid lumps. Now toss in the bay leaf, thyme, and raw cashews. Yep, just toss those raw cashews straight in the pot. Now let that simmer for about 15 minutes until the cashews are very soft. Blend it all up, and enjoy your soup!
- 6 Ribs of Celery
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Litre of Vegetable Broth (4 cups)
- 1 Cup of Water
- ⅓ Cup of All Purpose Flour (other types of flour will probably work fine too)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ½ Cup Raw Cashews
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Chop up the celery and onion, and finely mince the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery, onion, and garlic and sauté for about 5 to 10 minutes until the celery and onion begin to soften and look translucent.
- Add in the vegetable broth, water, then slowly pour in the flour as you whisk the soup to avoid any lumps. Add in the bay leaf, thyme, and raw cashews. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until the cashews are very soft.
- Remove the bay leaf, then blend in small batches, being careful not to fill your blender too high so it doesn't erupt. If you don't have a high powered blender such as a Blendtec, make sure to blend very well so that the cashews are completely blended.
- Return to the pot to heat or serve directly from the blender. Season with salt and pepper if desired and garnish with some celery leaves.
Featured Ingredient: Celery. 20 ingredients, 9 Days to go! (uh oh).