Creamy, rich, basil bursting, zesty, garlic, peppery pizza, with pops of sweet grape tomatoes, yus-puhlease. Vegan Creamy Pesto Pizza you make one mighty fine meal.
I love getting creative with pizza toppings that aren't your standard, such as my Vegan Leek & Potato Pizza, and my Roasted Butternut Squash Pizza. These pizzas don't have the traditional ooey gooey cheesiness, (for ooey gooey cheesy pizza be sure to pick up a copy of Fuss-Free Vegan) but instead are flavour busting handheld deliciousness. That's what we have in this Vegan Creamy Pesto Pizza. It's a total party in your mouth, pesto popping pizza. (Yeah, I thought that sounded pretty cute too).
Party in your mouth, check, but what about east to prepare. You know it! Just pop everything in a blender, puree, spread on pizza dough, top with tomatoes and bake. Takes less than 10 minutes to prepare, just the way I like it.
To make Vegan Creamy Pesto Pizza: Add all the pesto ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
*If you don't have a high-speed blender, you might want to boil the cashews for 10 minutes first to soften them so they blend smoothly. Drain, rinse, then add to the blender as normal.
Ooooeee! This sauces is so deliciously creamy I had a hard time not drinking it all straight from the blender. Try to keep it classy, Sam.
Stretch your pizza dough to fit you pan, then spread all of the pesto sauce across the dough. Top with the grape tomatoes, then pop in the oven to bake for about 18 to 24 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Sprinkle over some fresh basil and red pepper flake and serve hot.
(click stars to vote)
Vegan Creamy Pesto Pizza
For the pesto:
For the pizza:
- 1 pizza dough, (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 ½ cups cherry or grape tomatoes, , halved
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425F and lightly grease a pizza pan.
- To make the pesto: if you don't have a high-speed blender start by adding the cashews to a small pot and covering them with water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes until they are tender. Drain and rinse. If you have a high-speed blender, you can simply skip to the next step.
- Add the cashews and water to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Now add all of the remaining pesto ingredients and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- To make the pizza: stretch the dough on a well-floured surface to fit your pan. Spread the pesto sauce over the dough, then top with cherry tomatoes. Bake for 18 to 24 minutes until the edges of the crust are golden brown. Finish by garnishing with extra fresh basil and red pepper flakes if using.
If you liked this recipe you might also enjoy: