I did it!
I finished my first draft of my manuscript for my cookbook. Gah! So excited. Currently, it sits at over 40,000 words and more than 125 recipes. Everything from breakfast to dessert and I did it all in 4 and a half months. Not only is my cookbook written but it was also my blogs birthday last week. It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken is officially 3 years old! (What a geezer).
I decided to celebrate these festivities by NOT going to the grocery store this week. Ha! The luxury.
So I present to you, the ingredients I had in my fridge. Vegan Potato Pancakes! Don't you just love when you make something on a whim and it turns out so darn good? Simple ingredients, potatoes, onions, flour, and for a little spice I tossed in a jalapeño cause I'm all sorts of crazy like that.
I was actually kind of surprised at how well these guys came together. They were perfect on the very first try! Love it. Crisp on the outside, soft in the middle, potato goodness with a hint of spice throughout. You could serve these for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and they would be simply divine.
To make this recipe I first gathered the things I had in my fridge. You can see I was running pretty low! I just ran out of soy milk this morning, so unfortunately a grocery trip will happen today, as I cannot let tomorrow morning approach without soy milk for my coffee. #coffeeaddictproblems
Back to vegan potato pancakes. Here I just kind of guessed how to make the pancakes, and gosh darn it, they worked! I grated the potatoes and onion with my new fancy schmancy Breville Sous Chef Food Processor (more on that in a later post). If you don't have a grater attachment for your food processor you can use a regular old cheese grater.
Mix the potato and onion with flour, green onions, jalapeño (if you are into that kinda thing), and some salt and pepper. I told you this was a simple recipe!
Take a handful of the mixture and roughly form a patty then drop it directly into the hot pan. Cook a couple minutes on each side until crispy and golden brown. Potato perfectness, yes!
Vegan Potato Pancakes
- 3 yukon gold or russet potatoes, grated
- ½ yellow onion, grated
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Light oil, such as canola or vegetable for frying
- Add everything to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of oil to a large skillet or frying pan and put over medium-high heat. When hot, take a handful of the potato mixture and form into a loose patty. The mixture will be very wet and soft. Drop the patty directly into the hot pan. Fry a couple of minutes until the bottom is golden brown, then flip and fry on the other side. Repeat with remaining potato mixture until all the batter is used up, adding more oil to the pan as needed. Drain the patties on paper towel.