Do you see this gorgeousness!? SO much colour! SO many things to nibble! SO many excuses to use Sriracha! I’ll try to control myself, but I make no promises.
Many of you may know this, but for those who don’t “sushi” actually refers to the rice. “Sashimi” is the word for fish. So when I say vegan sushi, it’s totally legit. You know what else is totally legit? This Vegan Sushi Bowl! Gah!
Few things make me happier than large bowls of food, especially when soy sauce is involved. I swear, I could just eat a bowl of rice and soy sauce for dinner and be totally content… in fact I have, many times.
However, I don’t think that would qualify as a very exciting recipe to share on this blog… what would people think of us vegans!? We need to represent more deliciousness than that. A rainbow of health and colour, by golly I think we’ve got it. 👊
I love how simple and nutritious this dish is. Just what I need in this January blah weather to pump up the vitamins.
If you don’t have all the veggies listed, or if you think your sushi bowl would be the much better with say… red pepper and some bean sprouts, then you’re probably right! This bowl is totally customizable, so make it your way. Just stick to the sushi themed veggies and you are good to go.
To make this bowl, start by cooking your rice according to the package directions.
In the meantime, just chop up all your veggies. Yep, lots of chopping, but it is so, so worth it.
When your rice is cooked, mix in the seasoned rice vinegar. It should become sticky and clump together… delicious, delicious rice clumps.
Then just put some rice in a bowl, layer all your veggies around, sprinkle with some sesame seeds, and serve with soy sauce and Sriracha. So simple, so delicious.
- 1 Cup Uncooked Short Grain Sushi Rice
- 3 Tablespoons Seasoned Rice Vinegar (I like Marukan brand)
- 3 " piece of Cucumber
- 1 Medium Carrot
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Mango
- 2 Green Onions
- 6 Roasted Seaweed Snack Sheets (or 1 Nori Seaweed Sheet)
- 1 Cup Shelled Edamame (I buy mine frozen and thaw them)
- 2 Teaspoons Sesame Seeds
- Soy Sauce & Sriracha for serving
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the package directions. Once cooked mix in the seasoned rice vinegar so the rice becomes sticky and clumps together.
- In the meantime, chop up all the veggies. Julienne (cut into matchstick sized pieces), the carrot and cucumber. Thinly slice the avocado and mango, slice the green onion, and slice the seaweed into little strips.
- Put the bowls together by putting a layer of rice in the bottom, then dividing the veggies amoung the bowls, displaying them as you like. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with soy sauce and Sriracha.