Once upon a time there was a salad that didn't suck... and so it lived happily ever after... until I ate it. Muhahaha goodbye salad!
I love a good meal salad. I'm not talking about those lightly dressed greens on the side, I mean a hearty, satisfying, eat your veggies and lick your fingers kind of salad. This BBQ Chickpea Salad fits the bill.
First of all, I get to eat chickpeas, which is my #1 favourite bean (pea?) of them all. Sorry other beans, it's true. I ❤ chickpeas.
Secondly, I get to cover them in BBQ sauce, is there another explanation needed? I'll give one anyway: Recently some of my friends (amazingly awesome friends I might add), are trying to go vegan (see they're awesome). For any new vegan, I think using BBQ sauce or any other traditional "meat flavourings" (that sounds gross) on your food makes your meals more familiar and comforting. So BBQ sauce is a win-win.
Thirdly, you get to pack in a rainbow of vegetable colours. You know that's gonna be healthy by just looking at it. Eat the rainbow they say... no, not Skittles (although they are totally vegan).
Fourthly (is fourthly a thing?) I get to eat a ginormous bowl of food. I love eating ginormous bowls of food. Size matters.
Lastly, this salad meets all of my qualifications for what a good meal should be. Easy, healthy, satisfying, scrumptious, and totally vegan. Enough said, I need to eat this thing!
To make this salad, just simmer the chickpeas in some BBQ sauce until the sauce thickens and sticks to the chickpeas. Yummy saucy chickpeas. Then chop up all the veggies. A little drizzle of my Creamy Ranch Dressing, and you are looking mighty fine salad.
BBQ Chickpea Salad
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas (2 cups), drained and rinsed
- ½ cup My Favourite BBQ Sauce (page 209 in Fuss-Free Vegan), or store-bought vegan BBQ sauce
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, (two romaine hearts), chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes,, halved
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup corn kernel, (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- ¼ red onion,, thinly sliced
- 6 Tablespoons Vegan Creamy Ranch Dressing
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Add the chickpeas to a saucepan with the BBQ sauce and put over medium heat. Let the chickpeas simmer in the sauce for about 5 to 10 minutes until the sauce thickens and sticks to the chickpeas. Remove from heat.
- Divide the lettuce among two large bowls. Then divide all of the vegetable and the BBQ chickpeas on top of the lettuce. I like to pile each ingredient in its own section so it looks pretty, but you can arrange it however you like. Drizzle with creamy vegan ranch dressing and garnish with a wedge of lime.