I’m one of those weird people who actually crave salad. Andrew goes away for his work a lot, and usually one of the first things that flips through my mind on these occasions (after pouting) is: “Yay! Salad for dinner.” I know it’s maybe not the comfort food most people think of, but for me I just love it!
Andrew likes salads too… but more in the I will have some with dinner, if I’m still hungry, type of guy. Hey, at least I got him addicted to green smoothies! (More on green smoothie haters in a post yet to come).
So I get excited to have a giant salad for dinner (not with dinner). No, I’m not starving myself and trying to be a stick or anything. This ain’t no little bowl thing, I use a serving bowl as my salad bowl. This is a comfort food for me after all.
To make the salad, sometimes this becomes a love affair with my chefs knife. Getting down to the details chopping, dicing, peeling, swirling, and treating each and every veggie with care, until I have created a masterpiece of colour, layer upon layer. Then sometimes, I just chuck whatever leftovers I have on top of lettuce and call it a day. Whatever the method of preparation, in my opinoin a good salad is all about fresh veggies topped with the perfect dressing. I’m toatally not one of those, “oh I’ll just have a squeeze of lemon” , type of girls. Do those people actually exist!? I love making balsamic vinaigrettes, spicy ginger, creamy avocado, and of course Caesar.
This isn’t the first time I posted a Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing Recipe, so why do a second? Three reasons.
1. I wanted to make a dressing I could feel good about eating. I’m talking whole foods only, not even you, oil!
2. I didn’t want to rely on any products. The first recipe uses Vegenaise, which I love and highly recommend, but not everyone can get it or has it readily on hand. I wanted ingredients that you likely already have, or at least could easily pick up.
And 3. I just felt like it. So there.
So what did I do? I made a whole foods, oil free, GUILT FREE, Creamy Cashew Caesar Salad Dressing, and yes, it really does taste good. Infact it has everything I love about a good Caesar salad. It’s rich, creamy, garlicy, zesty, and just damn tasty!
This is so simple. Ready? Chuck everything in the blender, then blend, blend, blend! Creamy delicious smoothness! It gets even thicker as it just hangs out waiting for you to use it. If you aren’t using right away, store in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week.
- ½ Cup Unsalted Cashews (If you don't have a high speed blender, soak cashews overnight and drain before using)
- 2 Tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
- 4 Tablespoons Lemon Juice (about 1 Lemon)
- 2 teaspoons Capers
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ Cup Water (or if you used soaked cashews ¼ Cup + 1 Tablespoon Water)
- Lettuce of Choice for your salad (I used kale)
- Any added seasonings you like, such as Coconut Bacon
- This is so simple. Ready? Chuck everything in the blender, then blend, blend, blend! Creamy delicious smoothness! It gets even thicker as it just hangs out waiting for you to use it. If you aren't using right away, store in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week.