This post is sponsored by iHerb (a google trusted store) who I love for their amazing selection of vegan products including pantry items, makeup, and skincare, shipping to over 160 countries, with customer service in 10 languages!
Mole (pronounced like olé, and not like the furry ground dwelling creature) is a traditional Mexican sauce made from (get this), CHOCOLATE! Yes. This is a spicy, rich, savoury, and everything completely amazing chocolate sauce. And that’s not even the best news. You want the best news?
Here’s the best news:
- It’s chocolate! Yes, I said that already, but c’mon, a chocolate sauce that you can drizzle all over your dinner without looking like a weirdo? Count. Me. In.
- It’s surprisingly very healthy! The sauce is simply made from onions, garlic, vegetable broth, cocoa, and a boat load of spices. Spices are known to be super duper good for you, cocoa is super duper good for you, and sauce (well this sauce anyways), is super duper good for you!!
- It goes on top of everything. Generally, mole is known to be served over chicken, but on this blog, we all know it doesn’t taste like chicken 😉 Sure you could imagine this drizzled over grilled tofu (yum!) but don’t stop there. How about on top of roasted veggies, layered into a burrito, spooned over rice and beans, or added to lentil tacos. The options are endless.
- It’s really easy peasy to make! Well, scratch that. MY Easy (Cheater) Vegan Mole Sauce is easy peasy to make. Traditional mole uses 30+ ingredients, including 3 different kinds of Mexican chilis and Mexican chocolate- all things I don’t have in my kitchen, and frankly, would probably never use again if I did have them. Not my jive. So I figured out sneaky deaky ways around these ingredients to get similar tastes and all the yum.
Holy mole! (Surely you saw that one coming) I’m SO excited for this sauce. It’s the perfect way to transition from heavy winter foods, to lighter summer foods, while still holding onto some of that rich, warm, spicy comfort. Drizzled over roasted veggies with a side of rice is my fav for a quick, easy, and light meal.
So what are my magical tricks that take this sauce from complicated to pantry friendly?
- I replaced the three different types of chilis with good ol’ chili powder, and my new friend chipotle powder. (Hi friend!) Chipotle powder is smoky, spicy, and very fragrant…I think I sat there smelling the jar for a whole minute. It makes the perfect easy sub to swap out the traditional, hard to find chilis.
- Mexican chocolate is a grainy, cinnamon enhanced chocolate that is traditional in the sauce. Instead, I opted for cocoa powder and a cinnamon. I know, sometimes these subs are just too easy!
- Last, I took the recipe from over 30 ingredients to just 13. Yes!
Ooh ahhh, look at that spread. Now that I’m fully stocked thanks to iHerb, I have everything I need to make this sauce over and over again! It really is a pantry basic sauce recipe.
If you’re interested in stocking your cupboards from iHerb too, make sure you click here as all new customers will get $5 off their first order. Woot woot!
To make Easy (Cheater) Vegan Mole Sauce: Get your engines ready! And by engines, I mean spices.
Heat the oil in a skillet or large saucepan. When hot, sauté the onion and garlic until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown. Add the broth, and use your spoon to scrape off any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Now add all the cocoa, flour, peanut butter, all the spices and whisk well to combine.
Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes until it thickens and is very fragrant.
Use an immersion blender directly in the pot, or add the sauce to a blender, and blend until completely smooth. Boom! A gorgeous flavour packed mole sauce is ready to go. Serve hot. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
This 15 minute Easy (Cheater) Vegan Mole Sauce is a super simple and healthy way to amp up any meal. Perfect for a Mexican themed dinner, but great just on top of roasted veggies.
- 1 tablespoon light oil, such as canola or vegetable
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (depending on spice preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Heat the oil in a skillet or large saucepan. When hot, sauté the onion and garlic until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth, and use your spoon to scrape off any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Now add all the cocoa, flour, peanut butter, all the spices and whisk well to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes until it thickens and is very fragrant.
- Use an immersion blender directly in the pot, or add the sauce to a blender, and blend until completely smooth. Boom! A gorgeous flavour packed mole sauce is ready to go. Serve hot. Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
If you like this recipe you might also like: