1 bowl, 9 ingredients, the best easy vegan chocolate chip muffin recipe is here! These muffins are tender, fluffy, sweet, loaded with chocolate chips, and so tasty no one will know they are vegan!
When I first bit into these vegan muffins I knew I had made the perfect easy vegan chocolate chip muffins! They tasted like childhood to me. Kids will go crazy for these muffins! These are wonderful still warm out of the oven, but they will also keep fresh at room temperature for several days, or you can put them in the freezer in an air-tight container. But trust me when I say, I doubt they will last that long. Perfect for breakfast on the go or a snack, these muffins have a way of disappearing quickly!
How do you make chocolate chip muffins without eggs? The key is to add lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to the batter. The acid in the lemon juice or vinegar will make the muffins rise and get super fluffy! And don't worry, you cannot taste it. (I do not recommend using white vinegar which is stronger and you might taste it).
Are eggs necessary in muffins? Absolutely not! Not only do you not need eggs for rising or binding (you can sub other vegan-friendly ingredients for that), but I have never heard someone say they wished a muffin tasted more "eggy". Eggs are not needed to make muffins!
What is in a vegan chocolate muffin? My recipe calls for just 9 ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen! All-purpose flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt, any kind of plant-based milk (such as almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk), a light oil (such as canola oil or vegetable oil), lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and of course chocolate chips! Make sure you purchase vegan chocolate chips which are sometimes labeled but you can often find accidentally vegan dark chocolate chips as well just by checking the ingredients.
How many calories are in a vegan chocolate chip muffin? 271 calories per muffin, and the recipe makes 12 muffins.
How to Make Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins:
The instructions are super easy to make these muffins! Just preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Line 12 wells of a muffin tray with muffin liners or lightly grease the pan. For larger bakery-style muffins line 8 -9 wells.
There is no need to separate the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients in this recipe, it can all be made in one bowl!
In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the dairy-free milk, oil, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, and vanilla and gently stir to combine. Don't overmix, lumps are totally cool. Overmixing can result in the muffins not rising properly. Lastly, add the chocolate chips and gently fold them in.
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin tin. Hot tip: use an ice cream scoop to help you divide the batter evenly.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes on the middle rack until lightly golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan. Store at room temperature for 3 - 4 days or frozen in an air-tight container.
These easy vegan chocolate chip muffins are...
- sweet, chocolatey, and fluffy
- kids love them
- super easy to make
More delicious vegan muffin recipes:
Looking for another chocolate chip recipe? Try my famous vegan chocolate chip cookies!
If you try this recipe let us know by leaving a comment, rating it, and don't forget to tag @itdoesnttastelikechicken on Instagram.
Easy Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup plant-based milk (such as soy or oat)
- ½ cup light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar (makes the muffins fluffy, you will not taste it)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Line 12 wells of a muffin pan with paper liners or lightly grease the pan. For larger muffins line 8 -9 wells.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the plant-based milk, oil, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, and vanilla and gently stir to combine. Don't overmix, lumps are totally cool. Overmixing can result in the muffins not rising properly. Lastly add the chocolate chips and gently fold them in.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin tin. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until lightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (If you are making 8 - 9 large muffins they may take an extra minute or two). Let cool in the pan. Store at room temperature for 3 - 4 days or frozen in an air-tight container.