The Best Vegan Ceviche is made with hearts of palm which have a tender, flaky texture, and mild taste making it a fantastic fish substitute. Nori seaweed is added to the mix for a slight taste of the sea. Combined with avocado, cherry tomatoes, and lots of lime juice. Just 10 ingredients and 15 minutes to make, this is the perfect easy-to-make summer appetizer!
Traditionally ceviche is made with raw fish that is marinated in lime or lemon juice which sort of cooks the fish. Of course, as a vegan, I don't eat fish, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy these fresh flavors. Hearts of palm are available canned in most grocery stores and I just love how flaky and tender they are. They make an amazing seafood alternative which is why I also use them in my recipe for vegan lobster, and vegan calamari!
Note: if you're concerned about the sustainability of hearts of palms, rest assured that, unlike some palm oils, most canned varieties of this veggie come from farmed peach palms. Just check with the brand you are purchasing to be sure.
What is vegan ceviche made of? hearts of palm, nori (for a fishy flavor), lots of lime juice, avocado, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño, salt, and pepper.
How long does vegan ceviche last? The wonderful news is that because no raw fish is used, vegan ceviche stores well and keeps fresh (and is safe to eat) for much longer. Store the prepped ceviche in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
How to Make The Best Vegan Ceviche:
Prep the hearts of palm by draining them and chopping them into ½-pieces.
Add the hearts of palm, nori (if using), juice from 3 limes, avocado, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño to taste, salt and pepper to a large bowl and gently mix. Taste, and if desired add more lime juice. Serve fresh with tortilla chips. This ceviche can also be made ahead of time, just store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
This vegan ceviche recipe is...
- easy to make
- the perfect summer appetizer
More vegan appetizers to try:
If you try this recipe let us know by leaving a comment, rating it, and don't forget to tag @itdoesnttastelikechicken on Instagram.
The Best Vegan Ceviche
- 2 cans (398ml/ 14 fl.oz each) hearts of palm drained and chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 sheet nori finely chopped (optional for fishy taste) see notes
- 3 - 4 limes juiced
- 1 avocado cut into small cubes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- ¼ red onion finely sliced
- ½ cup cilantro roughly chopped
- ½ - 1 jalapeño finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- tortilla chips for serving
- Add the hearts of palm, nori (if using), juice from 3 limes, avocado, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño to taste, salt and pepper to a large bowl and gently mix. Taste, and if desired add more lime juice. Serve fresh with tortilla chips. This ceviche can also be made ahead of time, just store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.