The Best Cowboy Caviar is super quick and easy to whip up and can be enjoyed as a dip with tortilla chips or could be served as a side dish. With a zesty lime and smoky chipotle dressing, this recipe is perfect for potlucks or BBQ's. This delicious summer appetizer is a real crowd pleaser!
With 1000's of cowboy caviar recipes on the internet (also called Texas Caviar), why do I think this one is the best? It's all in the dressing! Unlike some recipes that use bottled Italian dressing (which in my opinion is kinda gross), my recipe uses a super simple to make a homemade dressing with fresh lime juice, smoky chipotle peppers, and garlic, for the biggest flavor burst! Trust me when I say, this version really is the best!
You can enjoy cowboy caviar like a fresh salsa with tortilla chips (my favorite way), or like a black bean salad as a side dish, or you could even spoon it on grilled tofu, seitan, or other vegan meat alternatives for a little color and flavor boost!
Cowboy caviar is a very flexible recipe. If you do not have the exact ingredients I listed here are some substitutions:
Beans: I used black beans and black-eyed peas but you could also try subbing pinto beans, kidney beans, or cannellini beans.
Tomatoes: I used Roma tomatoes but you could also sub quartered cherry or grape tomatoes.
Avocado: the lime in the dressing will keep the avocado fresh in the salad, but if you prefer you can omit them or add it right before serving.
Frozen corn: I used frozen corn as I always have a bag in the freezer but you could also sub canned corn. Or use fresh corn on the cob, just cook and slice off the kernels using a sharp knife.
Red Bell Pepper: I used red as it's my fave, but you could also sub orange, yellow, or green bell pepper.
Red onion: is not only pretty but it's super tasty. Sub a sweet white onion or green onions if needed.
Cilantro: omit if you do not like it or try subbing with fresh parsley.
Jalapeno and Chipotle Peppers: this recipe makes a huge salad so even with one jalapeno and two chipotle peppers I do not find it spicy at all. If you do not like spice, feel free to omit them, or start with just one chipotle pepper and add more to taste if needed. On the other hand, if you love spice, feel free to add more!
How to Make The Best Cowboy Caviar:
To a large bowl add the black beans, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, corn kernels, bell peppr, onion, cilantro and jalapeno.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients, the oil, lime juice, chipotle peppers, garlic, agave, salt, and smoked paprika. Pour the dressing over the veggies and toss well.
Serve right away with tortilla chips or store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Toss again just before serving.
The best cowboy caviar is:
- bursting with fresh summery flavors
- super quick and easy to whip up
- perfect for BBQ's or potlucks
- works as a snack or side dish!
More delicious vegan dip recipes:
The Best Cowboy Caviar
- 1 19oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 19oz can black-eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 2 - 3 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 avocados chopped
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn (it will thaw in the mix)
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeño finely minced (optional for spice)
- To a large bowl add the black beans, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, corn, bell peppr, onion, cilantro and jalapeno.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients, the oil, lime juice, chipotle peppers, garlic, agave, salt, and smoked paprika. Pour the dressing over the veggies and toss well. Serve right away with tortilla chips or store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Toss again just before serving.