This easy vegan potato salad is the stuff of side dish dreams! Tender potatoes are coated in a creamy dressing with the perfect blend of herbs and seasonings. What really makes this potato salad sing is the addition of chopped dill pickle, fresh dill, tangy apple cider vinegar, and the crisp bites of celery and red onion. Serve this and it will get gobbled up in no time!
Now I know some people love mayonnaise on their potato salad, and others are strickly the no mayo type. While I'm a fan of vegan mayonnaise in this recipe, I also include two options for mayo free versions, including an oil-free version. Creamy easy vegan potato salad for everyone!
Not only is this vegan potato salad completely scrumptious, but you can make it ahead of time, and stored in the fridge for up to 3 - 4 days. This makes it super convenient for meal prep.
I also love that this salad is made from ingredients you most likely have on hand in your pantry!
To make easy vegan potato salad:
Add the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and continue to cook for 5 - 10 minutes until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and let cool. Rinsing with cool water will help the potatoes cool faster.
*A note on potato peels, I like to leave the potato peels on for convenience, texture, and colour, but if you prefer you are welcome to peel the potatoes first.
In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, pickles, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, dill, salt, and pepper. Add the cooled potatoes along with the celery and red onion and gently toss to coat in the dressing. Sprinkle with paprika for garnish before serving.
*For a lower fat or oil-free version, sub the mayonnaise for 1 cup plain plant-based yogurt or 1 cup of my vegan sour cream recipe from Fuss-Free Vegan (page 207).
Serve the vegan potato salad fresh or cover and store in the fridge for 3 - 4 days. This salad is the perfect hearty side dish to any meal! I love it paired with my seitan steaks, cauliflower steaks, seitan tenders, almond and rosemary crusted tofu, seitan sausages, or crispy lemon tofu.
Can Vegan Potato Salad be frozen?
Yes you can. To freeze, store in the freezer in an air-tight container. Although take special care in thawing as it can end up with a different consistency and become mushy. Be sure to thaw the potato salad over time in your refrigerator and not to thaw at room temperature or in the microwave.
How long can Vegan Potato Salad last in the fridge?
If stored in a sealed container in your fridge, it can last 3-4 days.
What meals should I serve Vegan Potato Salad with?
Easy Vegan Potato Salad
- 3 pounds potatoes (any kind, I used Yukon gold), cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise, (see notes for subs)
- 2 dill pickles, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried dill)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ of a red onion,, thinly sliced (about ½ cup)
- smoked or sweet paprika, for garnish (optional)
- Add the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and continue to cook for 5 - 10 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. Drain and let cool. Rinsing with cool water will help the potatoes cool faster.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, pickles, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, dill, salt, and pepper. Add the cooled potatoes along with the celery and red onion and gently toss to coat in the dressing. Sprinkle with paprika for garnish before serving. Serve the vegan potato salad fresh or cover and store in the fridge for 3 - 4 days.