Just 9 easy ingredients, mix them together in a blender (or a bowl if you don't have a blender), pour into a pie shell, and bake. That all it takes to make this easy vegan pumpkin pie! It's so easy peasy it's ridiculous! And so delicious you will be tempted to make it every week.
Even better, this vegan pumpkin pie tastes best when made ahead of time making perfect for a stress-free Thanksgiving dessert. It's sweet, but not too sweet, creamy, pumpkin-y, full of seasonal spices, and just all-around ridiculously good. It's truly the BEST go-to easy vegan pumpkin pie recipe ever!
This vegan pumpkin pie is my favourite pie I've ever had, vegan or not. No lies. I'm not even trying to pat myself on the back, I'm just being honest here. I tested this pie by not only feeding it to myself (repeatedly... for testing purposes clearly), to my roommate who is also vegan, but also to several non-vegan friends and family. Everyone agreed. YUM. More. Now. Please? Pretty pretty please!?
This vegan pumpkin pie is so smooth, creamy, and perfectly balanced in flavours that it has become a go-to recipe. Year after year we enjoy this vegan pumpkin pie at our family Thanksgiving feast, and sometimes even Christmas celebrations as we can never get enough.
You can't even tell that this pumpkin pie is vegan as it tastes just like the traditional pumpkin pie!
The secret ingredient to making this pie extra creamy is using full-fat coconut milk (the kind in a can). Coconut milk is so rich and silky that it makes for the best texture, and once mixed with the other ingredients you can't even taste the coconut. Trust me on this! That said if there are coconut allergies you can replace the coconut milk for another plant-based milk, but try to use a plant-based milk that is high in fat for the best texture.
Now onto making pie!
To make easy vegan pumpkin pie:
Watch my video to see how it's done, or skip directly to the step by step photos below!
Prepare your vegan pie shell. You can either follow my recipe to make a homemade pie crust, or you buy a store-bought pie crust. Many of them are accidentally vegan, just check the ingredients to make sure.
Add the pumpkin, coconut milk, brown sugar, cornstarch, maple syrup, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt to a blender or a large bowl. Mix well.
Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie crust.
Use a spatula to spread the pumpkin evenly and smooth out the top. Bake for 60 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, the edges might be slightly cracked and the middle will still look wobbly. Let cool, and then chill in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight until completely set.
Enjoy the vegan pumpkin pie plain or serve with my vegan coconut whipped cream or a store-bought vegan whipped cream.
If you're looking for more vegan Thanksgiving recipes be sure to see them all by clicking here.
Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- 1 ¾ cups pure pumpkin (1, 14 oz can) (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk (the kind in a can, shaken well before measuring)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Recipe Easy Vegan Pie Crust (or 1, 9" vegan store-bought pie crust)
- Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Have your unbaked 9" pie shell ready.
- Add the pumpkin, coconut milk, brown sugar, cornstarch, maple syrup, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt to a blender or a large bowl. Mix well.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie crust. Use a spatula to spread the pumpkin evenly and smooth out the top. Bake for 60 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, the edges might be slightly cracked and the middle will still look wobbly. Let cool, and then chill in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight until completely set. Serve plain or with coconut whipped cream.