Just 9 easy ingredients (that you probably already have in your pantry). This pie is SO easy to make, just mix in a blender or in a bowl, pour into a pie shell, and then bake. Done! This Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pie tastes better than the original version (you won't be able to tell it's vegan). It has been the #1 most popular recipe on my blog since I posted this recipe back in 2015. It's an all-time fan-favorite recipe!
This easy vegan pumpkin pie can be made up to 3 days in advance making it perfect for a stress-free Thanksgiving dessert. It's sweet, but not too sweet, has an amazing creamy texture, pumpkin-y, full of seasonal spices, and just all-around ridiculously good. I tested this pie by not only feeding it to myself (repeatedly... for testing purposes clearly), but I also gave it to several non-vegan friends and family. Everyone agreed: YUM! It truly is the BEST go-to easy vegan pumpkin pie recipe ever! Year after year we enjoy this vegan pumpkin pie at our family Thanksgiving feast, and sometimes even Christmas celebrations as we can never get enough.
What is Pumpkin purée? (also called pure pumpkin or pumpkin puree) this is just pumpkin that has been cooked and blended until smooth. I use canned pumpkin to make this easy. For one pie you need 1 14oz can of pumpkin. Just be sure that the canned pumpkin you are using is not pumpkin pie filling. The only ingredient should be pumpkin. Pumpkin pie filling contains spices and thickeners which will not work in the recipe. If you prefer to make pumpkin pureé from scratch that will work wonderfully as well. You will need 1 ¾ cups.
Why is my vegan pumpkin pie darker/lighter? Pumpkins can range in color depending on the brand of canned pumpkin, what country the pumpkin is from, when it was harvested, how ripe it was, and various other reasons. As a result, your pumpkin pie may be a darker or lighter color than my photos, but not to worry, it will taste just as delicious!
Can you taste the coconut milk in the pie? You cannot taste the coconut flavor in the pie. The coconut flavor blends in with the pumpkin and spices. This pie does not taste like coconut, I promise!
Is there a substitute for coconut milk? if you cannot use coconut milk, use a vegan culinary cream or other rich creamy dairy-free milk. Make sure to choose a plant-based milk that is rich and has a higher fat content so that the pie is still creamy and delicious.
Is this vegan pumpkin pie gluten-free? Yes! The filling is entirely gluten-free so all you need to do is buy a store-bought vegan gluten-free pie crust.
How to make easy vegan pumpkin pie:
Prepare your pie dough by rolling it out and lining a 9 inch pie dish. You can either follow my recipe to make a homemade pie crust or use a store-bought pie crust. Many of them are accidentally vegan, just check the ingredients to make sure. You do not need to pre-bake the pie crust for this recipe. It will bake in the oven along with the filling.
Add the pumpkin pureé, coconut milk, brown sugar, cornstarch, maple syrup, vanilla extract, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and salt to a blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively you could add the ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
Make ahead: if you want to make the filling ahead of time, simply mix, and store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Use a spatula to spread the pumpkin evenly and smooth out the top. Bake for 60 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, the edges will be slightly cracked and the middle will still look wobbly. Let cool, and then chill in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight until completely set.
Enjoy the vegan pumpkin pie plain or serve with my vegan coconut whipped cream or a store-bought vegan whipped cream.
This easy vegan pumpkin pie is...
- the #1 top recipe on my blog!
- creamy, pumpkin-y, and full of warming spices
- the best pumpkin pie ever (vegan or not)
More vegan pumpkin recipes:
If you're looking for more vegan Thanksgiving recipes be sure to see them all by clicking here.
If you try this recipe let us know by leaving a comment, rating it, and don't forget to tag @itdoesnttastelikechicken on Instagram
(click stars to vote)
Easy Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Servings: 9" pie
- 1 ¾ cups pumpkin purée (1, 14 oz can), (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk, (see notes for substitutions and more info)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Recipe Easy Vegan Pie Crust, or 1, 9" frozen vegan pie crust (gluten-free if preffered)
- Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream, (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Have your unbaked 9" pie shell ready (there is no need to prebake it).
- Add the pumpkin, coconut milk, brown sugar, cornstarch, maple syrup, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt to a blender or a large bowl. Mix well.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie crust. Use a spatula to spread the pumpkin evenly and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 60 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, the edges will be slightly cracked and the middle will still look wobbly. Let cool, and then chill uncovered in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight until completely set. Serve plain or with coconut whipped cream.
More Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes You Might Like: