In just two sleeps I'll be sitting on a beach, sipping some overly boozy beverage, (probably way too early in the morning to be drinking), hopefully with a paper umbrella in it, and I CAN NOT WAIT!!! I am going on a trip with 15(!!) family and friends to Montego Bay, Jamaica. Man oh man do I need a vacay. After turning my hobby into a full-time career, writing, photographing, and editing (5 times!) my cookbook, and working basically all day, every day these past 2 years, a vacation is just what my doctor ordered.
...ok well my doctor didn't order it, but maybe he would if I asked him too... please doc, tell me to go on vacay!
This is my last post while I'm here, at home, until I return. But fear not friends, you will still get two more posts while I am away. Yep, I didn't want to leave you guys hanging without any vegan deliciousness for a whole week!
That said, I hope to not check social media/comments/all things blog too much while gone, so if there are questions or typos (😬) be patient! I will get back to you on my return.
If you want to follow along on my vacay, make sure to follow my Instagram account @itdoesnttastelikechicken. I will also be sharing an epic post about my trip and how it was to eat vegan in Jamaica when I get back (as per your requests on Facebook). Woot!
On to deliciously delicious Vegan Banana Bread Oatmeal deliciousness! (See my super clever adjectives there... yeah, this writer's brain is tired).
I sometimes hate to admit it, but I LOVE oatmeal. I eat it for breakfast most mornings. It sounds so very vegan, I know, but it's just so satisfying and easy, and I'm always inventing new flavour combos. The possibilities are endless!!
This vegan banana bread oatmeal is my new favourite thing ever. The oatmeal is sweetened with mashed banana and dates, spiced with a bit of cinnamon and vanilla, then topped with more banana, walnuts, and chocolate chips (because, chocolate). Sweet, banana-y perfection + walnut crunch= YES!
Seriously so so so good. It tastes just like the best slice of still-warm banana bread that you've ever had. No baking required!
Vegan Banana Bread Oatmeal
- 2 very ripe bananas, one mashed and one sliced
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup large flake rolled oats
- 2 tablespoon dates, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips (optional, but yum!)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- non-dairy milk for serving
- Add the mashed banana, water, oats, dates, vanilla, and cinnamon to a small pot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, giving a stir every now and then until the oats are tender and most of the water is absorbed.
- Divide among 2 bowls and top with the banana slices, chocolate chips, walnuts, and a drizzle of non-dairy milk.
If you liked this recipe you might also like: