Delicious, healthy junk food, where have you been all my life? Oh, you mean you were in my life, and I never knew? I happened to have all the ingredients to turn one of my favourite snacks (popcorn) into my favourite junk food chip flavour (sour cream and onion). It was like a pantry mashup that made me want to boogie! (And by boogie I mean settle down in front of Netflix)… but with wine, because I am such a booger! …umm…
Moving on, I had no idea that making this shaker of delicious popcorn seasoning love potion, would be so easy, and (bonus points!) no scary chemicals. Just some soy milk powder, nutritional yeast, and spices. Ok, ok, I admit, that not everyone has soy milk powder and nutritional yeast on hand, but you should, because then you can make this popcorn seasoning, surely a good enough reason.
For those who don’t know the beauty that is nutritional yeast, it’s this yellow flaky stuff you find in the health food section of your grocery store. Bob’s Red Mill makes it, but so do lots of other people. I am the first to admit that yellow flaky stuff doesn’t sound super appealing, but it is. So there. It kind of has this nutty cheesy flavour and makes everything taste even more awesome, so you definitely need it. As for the soy milk powder, that can be found in the baking section, health or bulk food stores, and of course, online.
Once you have all your ingredients ready, dump them into a bowl and mix it all up. Now take a spice shaker,
empty it’s contents into a different container making a huge mess and spilling it all over your kitchen, find an empty spice shaker, and fill with your new popcorn seasoning. Shake over popcorn, kale chips, potatoes, anything you like! Then shake, shake, shake, do dah doot dah duh doot dah. Side note: I particularly like the couple in matching black spandex outfits who are pretty confident, spinning in circles = coolest dance move ever. I’m convinced.
- 3 Tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast, ground up (see below)
- 3 Tablespoons of Soy Milk Powder
- 3 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoons Salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Dill
- Grind the nutritional yeast into a fine powder by using a mortar and pestle, blending it in a spice grinder, or just rubbing it between your hands. The goal is to make a powder fine enough to mix well and be able to easily shake out of the lid of your spice container.
- Add everything to a bowl, mix it up, and fill your shaker.
- Make some popcorn the way you usually would, and then shake, shake, shake!
Feature Ingredient: Nutritional Yeast! 184 days, 68 Ingredients to go!