I’m super excited to announce this post is sponsored by World Kitchen, who I love for their gorgeous colourful bakeware. I collect both vintage and brand new dishes all the time! (No really, you should see my ridiculous collection). I have been compensated monetarily and with product. Woot woot!
Why hello there gorgeous, creamy, melt in your mouth, baked dish of deliciousness. Why yes, I do wish I was eating you right now… which would be for breakfast… which might be odd, but I am still so into the idea. Cold pasta fans anyone?
This dish is comfort food heaven! It’s like creaminess and comfort got together and had a baby and they named it Vegan Spinach & Artichoke Pasta Bake. No, not the cutest baby name I have ever heard of, but it will have to do. We can call it “Baked Love” for short.
Can we take a moment to appreciate the beauty of these CorningWare dishes? I LOVE the bright fun colours of these pans, they are just so totally me. I mean the turquoise one… I can’t even, I just think it’s the cutest.
These days it seems like most of the things I own are turquoise: I’m sitting at a turquoise desk, next to my turquoise cabinet, eating cereal out of a turquoise bowl (not so secretly dreaming of eating Baked Love straight out of this turquoise CorningWare pan). So when I received this package of colourful dishes in the mail I was jumping for joy at the gorgeousness. You’ll probably see these dishes show up in a lot of posts from now on. If you’re in a shopping type mood, you can get the set shown above here, or choose from a huge range of other colours, shapes, sizes, and styles.
Back to Baked Love.
This is a great dish for an easy weeknight dinner, but it would also be ridiculously perfect for a big party! A crowd pleaser if I ever saw one. I’m not just talking about a crowd of vegans, (where is this crowd of vegans? I want to come!) I am talking about EVERYONE. The cashews make it so sinfully creamy, an entire extra large box of spinach is crammed in there (Popeye would be proud), paired with marinated artichokes. We all know those two are a super great match. This pasta tastes just like the classic dip, but it’s all disguised as dinner.
What’s that dull rumble? That’s the sound of thousands of vegans running to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients for Vegan Spinach & Artichoke Pasta Bake.
Let’s get cooking! First you need to either soak or boil your cashews until they are very tender. Then add them to a blender with all of the sauce ingredients and blend until very smooth and creamy. Set aside.
Melt the vegan butter and mix it up along with all the bread crumb toppings. Now set that aside too.
Drain the artichokes and roughly chop leaving them still leave them fairly chunky. Chop the onion. You guess it, set those aside.
Boil your pasta according to the package directions. In the last 30 seconds of cooking time, add all of the spinach to the boiling water along with the pasta.
Stir the spinach into the water until it is all wilted, then drain pasta and spinach together.
Add the pasta and spinach back into the pot, and now add the onion, artichoke, and all of the sauce. Stir to combine.
Spread the pasta out into a 9x 12 3 qt. baking dish. Then evenly shake the breadcrumb mixture overtop. Bake at 350F (180C) for 25 minutes until hot all the way through and the breadcrumb toppings have lightly browned.
Feast away my friends, feast away.
- For the Sauce:
- 1½ Cup Raw Cashews
- ¼ Cup Lemon Juice (about 1 lemon)
- ¼ Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Cups of Non-Dairy Milk of Choice (I used soy)
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1½ teaspoons Salt (or to taste)
- For the Topping:
- 1 Tablespoon Melted Vegan Butter
- ¾ Cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Powder
- For the Pasta:
- 4 Cups Dried Penne
- 2 6oz Jars Marinated Artichokes
- ½ of a Medium Yellow Onion
- 11 oz fresh or frozen Spinach (I prefer fresh)
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- To make the sauce: You can choose to boil or soak the cashews. To soak the cashews: Put the cashews in a bowl, and cover them with water. Let soak for 3-8 hours until very tender then drain. To boil the cashews: Cover the cashews with water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and boil for about 10 minutes until the cashews are very tender, then drain.
- Add the cashews to a blender along with all of the sauce ingredients: the lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, non-dairy milk, chili powder and salt, and blend until very smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- To make the Topping: Melt the vegan butter and mix it up with all the topping ingredients: the bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, and chili powder. Set aside.
- To make the Pasta: Drain the artichokes. Cut them into smaller pieces but still leave them fairly chunky. Chop the onion.
- In a very large pot, boil your pasta according to the package directions. In the last 30 seconds of cooking time, add all of the spinach to the boiling water along with the pasta. Stir the spinach in until it is all wilted, then drain pasta and spinach together.
- Add the pasta and spinach back into the pot, and add the onion, artichoke, and all of the sauce. Stir to combine. Spread the pasta out into a baking dish. Then evenly shake the breadcrumb mixture overtop. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until hot all the way through, and the breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Serve hot.
*For oil free, skip the tablespoons of vegan butter in the topping.