My go-to vegan soup recipe is this 20-minute white bean & kale soup because it's simple, packed full of veggies, gluten-free, made with ingredients you likely already have on hand, and will make you feel great! This soup is delicious, easy, hearty, and healthy. Cook up a pot of this soup and you'll be set for a week of easy meals. You can enjoy this soup alone, or as a side dish served along with salad, or sandwiches. It’s good for any time and it’s good for you, too!
I have lots of recipes for fun and creative vegan soups, but sometimes I just want something simple and healthy that I can whip up in a flash. This white bean & kale soup (or a variation of it) is my go-to! You can swap the beans with whatever beans you have on hand, and you can also swap the kale for other dark leafy greens if you prefer. This is the perfect soup for when you're feeling a bit under the weather, or when you just want an easy way to incorporate more good for your beans and veggies into your day.
White Kidney Beans: I use canned beans to make this soup quick and easy to whip up, but if you prefer you can cook your beans from scratch. White kidney beans are my go-to for this recipe, but you can feel free to swap with your favorite beans such as black beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, or pinto beans.
Carrots, Celery, and Onion: also called a French Mirepoix, this trio of veggies makes the perfect flavor base for many dishes including this soup.
Vegetable Broth: use homemade or store-bought vegetable broth, whatever you prefer. If you are looking to make your own vegan soup broth, try my recipe for Vegetable Broth from Scraps or my Veggie Broth Powder recipe from my cookbook Fast Easy Cheap Vegan (page 39).
Kale: I love to add kale to this soup because it provides a wonderful chew, but feel free to swap the kale with your preferred dark leafy greens such as spinach, swiss chard, or collard greens.
Herbs & Spices: In this soup, I add dried thyme leaves, oregano, cumin, turmeric, and pepper to make this soup full of comforting flavors.
How to Make Vegan Soup:
To make my white bean & kale vegan soup recipe, start by heating the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables just begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth, beans, thyme, oregano, cumin, turmeric, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the kale and stir to wilt the kale into the soup. Simmer for another 5 minutes to soften the kale. Add salt to taste if needed. (Many brands of vegetable broth are quite salty so I often don't need any additional salt). Serve hot with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan if desired.
This vegan soup recipe is...
- Quick & easy to make
- Warming and comforting
- Feel better vibes
What to serve with this soup:
If you try this recipe let us know by leaving a comment, rating it, and don't forget to tag @itdoesnttastelikechicken on Instagram.
So tell me, what's your favorite vegan soup?
My Go-To Vegan Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 6 cups vegetable broth, or vegan chickenless broth
- 2 19oz cans white kidney beans, (4 cups) drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups kale, finely shredded
- salt, to taste, if needed
- vegan parmesan, (optional for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Sauté until the veggies just begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, beans, thyme, oregano, cumin, turmeric, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the kale and stir to wilt the kale into the soup. Simmer for another 5 minutes to soften the kale. Add salt to taste if needed. Many brands of vegetable broth are quite salty so I often don't need any additional salt.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of vegan parmesan if desired.