Before I get to Vegan Curry Lentil Soup (which I'm currently obsessed with and can't wait to get to), I have to tell you some pretty crazy news. My cookbook Fuss-Free Vegan is selling out! It's already completely sold out on amazon.ca and on Barnes & Noble. There are even people trying to sell used copies on amazon.ca for $150, how crazy is that!? Do not buy my book for $150, it's not a good deal. Luckily, there appear to be some copies of my book still on amazon.com and just a couple left at Indigo. The book is being reprinted but I am not sure when the reprint is arriving, so if you want your hands on a first edition, you better go hop like a bunny and get one now!
Now on to Vegan Curry Lentil Soup!
Just looking at these pictures I wish I had a big bowl of this soup in front of me again right now... even though it's currently first thing in the morning and that might be an odd breakfast choice.
Vegan Curry Lentil Soup is the perfect way to celebrate my cookbook's success. I know most people celebrate with fancy cocktails, or maybe some champagne cupcakes, but I assure you, I have already done lots of celebrating with boozy and sweet treats over the holidays. Now that it's January (also known as #veganuary), I'm looking to celebrate instead with a warm, hearty, spicy, bowl of health. Oh boy does this fit the bill!
The lentil and tomato base make this soup hearty and satisfying with rich and aromatic spices, and coconut milk stirred in at the last minute for a little creamy bliss. And if you're into hot spice (which I totally am) you can optionally kick it up with cayenne, (which I totally did).
In true fuss-free style, this recipe is very easy to make. Most of the time is spent just letting the soup simmer away which will make your kitchen smell amazing. This soup is gorgeous freshly made but it also holds up well and gets even better the next day, making it perfect for a make ahead meal.
To make Vegan Curry Lentil Soup: in a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Suaté for about 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown.
Stir in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, brown or green lentils, curry powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne (if using). Cover and bring to a simmer.
Cook for about 25 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked and the lentils are tender.I love brown or green lentils for this recipe as they are a bit heartier and have more chew, but if you would prefer to use red lentils, do not add them until the last 10 minutes of cooking so they don't get mushy.
Stir in the coconut milk and heat through. Serve hot and garnish with cilantro.
Vegan Curry Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon light oil (such as canola or vegetable)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional for spice)
- 1 ½ cups full-fat coconut milk (the kind in a can)
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Suaté for about 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, brown or green lentils, curry powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne (if using). Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 25 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked and the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and heat through. Serve hot and garnish with cilantro.