As soon as I posted my recipe for The Best Vegan Chili Ever, I started getting requests for my vegan cornbread recipe, but I didn't have a cornbread recipe... yet. Writing this food blog is like sharing my food adventures with you guys. I think sometimes people think I have this never ending notebook of recipes ready to be photographed and added to the blog (I wish). Whether you know it or not, you're totally on a vegan food adventure with me. Woot woot for adventures!!!
I'm constantly testing and experimenting. I have food in my fridge and cupboards and I mess with it until I'm able to produce something I consider blog worthy. So when I get requests, sometimes it takes a bit of time (especially when it's a baked good), to nail the recipe just so. But I finally nailed the cornbread recipe! High-five friends, this leg of the adventure is complete.
As I have been blogging for almost 4 years now, over time I've gotten very specific about the recipes I like to post on my blog. My requirements for a blog worthy recipe are as follows:
- Is it easy to make?
- Does it use easy to find ingredients?
- Is it totally and utterly scrumptious?
If the answer is "yes" to all three of those questions, then I consider it a blog-worthy recipe. Boom.
So this easy vegan cornbread recipe, is it actually easy to make? Does it use easy to find ingredients? And is it totally and utterly scrumptious? You betcha!!!
The Easiest (and most delicious) Vegan Cornbread is sweet, tender, moist, and full of corn flavour. For an extra bump in corniness... not in the funny kind of way but in the actual corn kind of way, you can optionally add in some fresh or frozen corn kernels. At book club the other day, my friends were fighting over the pieces with corn kernels in them... no shame book club!
Oh, and of course this easy vegan cornbread didn't just make the delicious requirement, this is SUPER easy too. Just one bowl, 7- 8 ingredients, stir, pour into pan, bake, done. Yep. Cornbread here you come.
To make The Easiest (and most delicious) Vegan Cornbread: Add everything (except for the corn kernels if you are using them) to a bowl.
Stir until just combined. Don't over mix it. If you are adding corn kernels, add those in now, and give two or three more stirs to mix them in.
Pour the batter into a lightly greased baking pan, and spread around evenly with a spatula. Bake. Then enjoy.
- What should I serve with cornbread? Serve this easy vegan cornbread with my Best Vegan Chili or any one of my heart soups or stews!
- Can I substitute coconut milk for any other non-dairy milk in cornbread? Yes, you can! Any of the non-dairy milks works just fine with this recipe. You could even use water if you are in a pinch!
- Can I store cornbread in the fridge? If properly stored in a sealable, air-tight container - cornbread will last for approximately 1 week in the fridge.
- Can I freeze cornbread recipe? If wrapped tightly in a plastic wrap and then placed in a sealed freezer bag, cornbread will last up to 3-4 months in the freezer. Just be sure to seal it up tightly to avoid freezer burn.
The Easiest (and most delicious) Vegan Cornbread
- 1 ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup white sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400F (200C), and lightly grease a 8" x 8" pan.
- In a large bowl, add everything together except for the corn kernels. Stir until just combined. Don't over mix it. If you are adding corn kernels, add those in now, and give two or three more stirs to mix them in. Pour into the greased pan, and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake 20 - 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
If you liked this recipe you might also like: